T50 -> Penn?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T50 -> Penn?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 pm

I’m #2 at a T50 in Texas and am accepted at Penn. I have all the typical benefits of being highly ranked (LR, RA, some $, etc.), and have come to the question of whether it is worth it. I am also married, so my spouse losing their job and having to find a new one is a large consideration.

Here are my goals:

1) Biglaw and mobility - Right now, biglaw is accessible but realistically only in 1-2 major markets (Dallas/Houston). I’m not set on a particular market, but really like the idea of practicing in DC/NY doing policy/regulatory work. Most of all I want the option to be mobile. If I were to be in TX, I’d like to be in Austin, which may or may not be doable from my current school.

2) Clerkships - I think this is realistic from my current school if I keep up my grades. I would also be willing to try clerking after a few years of work experience.

Is it worth it to transfer? Are there reasons for staying that I’m not seeing? Would I actually be able to accomplish these goals if I did transfer?

K Rock

Re: T50 -> Penn?

Postby K Rock » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:43 am

What does "mobility" mean.

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m #2 at a T50 in Texas and am accepted at Penn. I have all the typical benefits of being highly ranked (LR, RA, some $, etc.), and have come to the question of whether it is worth it. I am also married, so my spouse losing their job and having to find a new one is a large consideration.

Here are my goals:

1) Biglaw and mobility - Right now, biglaw is accessible but realistically only in 1-2 major markets (Dallas/Houston). I’m not set on a particular market, but really like the idea of practicing in DC/NY doing policy/regulatory work. Most of all I want the option to be mobile. If I were to be in TX, I’d like to be in Austin, which may or may not be doable from my current school.

2) Clerkships - I think this is realistic from my current school if I keep up my grades. I would also be willing to try clerking after a few years of work experience.

Is it worth it to transfer? Are there reasons for staying that I’m not seeing? Would I actually be able to accomplish these goals if I did transfer?

I am going through an extremely similar situation. PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 am

Mobility = ability to enter different markets. My fear is that my current school will lock me into a single market.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 pm

If you mean that you want to be able to pick among several markets for where you work, you will get that from Penn. But if you mean the ability to move around from place to place, there will probably be some advantage to a Penn degree, but "mobility" will be more a function of what you have done since you graduated or how amenable your firm is to transferring offices.

Clerkships are available to Penn transfers with great grades. Several of my transfer classmates are clerking. Also, several are working in each of the tougher markets, e.g. DC, SF. New York is easily within reach.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm

run26.2 wrote:Clerkships are available to Penn transfers with great grades. Several of my transfer classmates are clerking. Also, several are working in each of the tougher markets, e.g. DC, SF. New York is easily within reach.

How accessible would you say DC/California are for transfers? Did any transfers completely strike out at OCI?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:Clerkships are available to Penn transfers with great grades. Several of my transfer classmates are clerking. Also, several are working in each of the tougher markets, e.g. DC, SF. New York is easily within reach.

How accessible would you say DC/California are for transfers? Did any transfers completely strike out at OCI?

Some struck out, but I believe transfers did as well or better than the overall population. How accessible the markets are depend on the factors of your application. I received offers in both locations. If you have ties, theoretically you should be able to get an offer in that market, even as a transfer.

Return to “Transfers”