Is Michigan worth an extra 80k? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Mich vs. Wisc

Michigan
63%
Stay at Wisconsin
37%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Is Michigan worth an extra 80k?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:23 pm

A bit of background:

Current School: Wisconsin, Tuition: 9k per year (and tuition is frozen for the next 2 years)
Career Hopes: I want to do biglaw if I can get it. Preferably in the Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison) but I could also see doing NYC for a few years.

Obviously Mich has much better job prospects. But I will end up paying 80k more in tuition (COL is probably roughly the same). My biggest fear would be striking out at Michigan and taking on the extra debt while being stuck with midlaw. I'd have much more manageable debt in midlaw out of Madison. So, what does TLS think?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Is Michigan worth an extra 80k?

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm

It would be helpful to know your current class rank, but if you want biglaw, and especially if you are open to NYC, you should probably transfer.

Is there a risk that you pay an extra 80k and not get biglaw? Of course there is, but I think if you genuinely want to work in biglaw then you should leave Wisconsin because your odds at biglaw from there are abysmally small, especially compared to UM.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm

What would be your total indebtedness at Michigan versus Wisconsin.

Obviously you will need to transfer for a decent shot at big law, Michigan has a great LRAP so even if you got midlaw you wouldn't be screwed I'm assuming.

Without knowing the debt figures and your gpa my advice would be if you really want biglaw I think Michigan would be worth the risk with the realization that you might not get it but will still have the LRAP and a T14 degree/ connections to fall back on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

bk187 wrote:It would be helpful to know your current class rank, but if you want biglaw, and especially if you are open to NYC, you should probably transfer.

Is there a risk that you pay an extra 80k and not get biglaw? Of course there is, but I think if you genuinely want to work in biglaw then you should leave Wisconsin because your odds at biglaw from there are abysmally small, especially compared to UM.
I was just outside the top 15%, by like .01. I had to put top 20% on my resume, however.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk187 wrote:It would be helpful to know your current class rank, but if you want biglaw, and especially if you are open to NYC, you should probably transfer.

I was just outside the top 15%, by like .01. I had to put top 20% on my resume, however.
That, to me, makes this pretty much a slam dunk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:33 pm

muskies970 wrote:What would be your total indebtedness at Michigan versus Wisconsin.

Obviously you will need to transfer for a decent shot at big law, Michigan has a great LRAP so even if you got midlaw you wouldn't be screwed I'm assuming.

Without knowing the debt figures and your gpa my advice would be if you really want biglaw I think Michigan would be worth the risk with the realization that you might not get it but will still have the LRAP and a T14 degree/ connections to fall back on.
Roughly 75k at Wisconsin and 155k at Michigan (assuming I don't pay anything back from a 2L summer job and that Ann Arbor is roughly similar to Madison's COL).

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I think graduated from Wisconsin, you do not have to take the bar exam for Wisconsin. Not sure how much of an impact that is, but you did say you would be willing to work in Madison or Milwaukee

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 pm

kyle010723 wrote:I think graduated from Wisconsin, you do not have to take the bar exam for Wisconsin. Not sure how much of an impact that is, but you did say you would be willing to work in Madison or Milwaukee
That is true, but not really factoring into my decision. I'm more concerned about balancing the costs vs. job prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 am

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That, to me, makes this pretty much a slam dunk.
I'm assuming by slam dunk, you are referring to transferring to Michigan?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 am

Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”