Stay vs. Northwestern v. Michigan Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where to go for NOT biglaw?

Indiana; COA = 75k
69%
Northwestern; COA = 140k
16%
Michigan; COA = 130k
16%

Total votes: 32

Anonymous User

Stay vs. Northwestern v. Michigan

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 pm

First of all, I do NOT want biglaw. The salary appeals to me but the lifestyle does not. Does it make sense to transfer from IUB and give up my scholarship? COA estimates include family contributions / savings. I am from Chicago, but would be fine practicing in Indy or another midwestern city. I think I would like to work in a small firm or in a DA's office. I would prefer to live in Bloomington or Ann Arbor for the next 2 years than to live in Chicago. Are the additional opportunities that NU or Mich may provide worth the added debt?

muskies970

Bronze

Re: Stay vs. Northwestern v. Michigan

Post by muskies970 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I think it's a toss up between Mich and IUB with Northwestern being out due to your interests.

55k is a big difference especially considering your goals, I'm assuming you're near the top of your class at IUB since you're able to transfer so there may be no real need to transfer at all for that extra debt. I would stay at IUB unless you feel a T14 education/ connections and national placement is worth 55k more to you.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 pm

You should probably stay. The extra benefit to having NU/UM on your resume is just not worth the extra 55k for your goals. The repeated advice I've seen for people who want to be ADAs is: if you want to work in a DA's office you need to have gotten your foot in the door at one yesterday and be interning your ass off to work there.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Made this exact same decision last year. If you're not gunning for BigLaw, then probably not worth it. If it was between NU and UM, definitely choose UM as it is about $10K per year less considering CoL and tuition difference.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First of all, I do NOT want biglaw. The salary appeals to me but the lifestyle does not. Does it make sense to transfer from IUB and give up my scholarship? COA estimates include family contributions / savings. I am from Chicago, but would be fine practicing in Indy or another midwestern city. I think I would like to work in a small firm or in a DA's office. I would prefer to live in Bloomington or Ann Arbor for the next 2 years than to live in Chicago. Are the additional opportunities that NU or Mich may provide worth the added debt?
If you're able to transfer, you must be ballin' at your current school. Given your goals, I'd stay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:30 pm

My grades are not THAT impressive, I think this is a good year for transfers. Is Indiana TCR even though Indiana has no LRAP and Michigan has a pretty good LRAP that will help me out even if I do private practice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My grades are not THAT impressive, I think this is a good year for transfers. Is Indiana TCR even though Indiana has no LRAP and Michigan has a pretty good LRAP that will help me out even if I do private practice?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My grades are not THAT impressive, I think this is a good year for transfers. Is Indiana TCR even though Indiana has no LRAP and Michigan has a pretty good LRAP that will help me out even if I do private practice?
With 75k debt, you don't really need LRAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”