UPenn vs. Columbia

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Penn or Columbia

UPenn
54%
Columbia
46%

Total votes: 28

sonu718k

UPenn vs. Columbia

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I've been accepted at both Penn and Columbia, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. For transfer students in particular, which school have you heard is a better choice. I would ideally like to do a clerkship, but I know that without LR, it's not that viable even at both of these schools (and with Penn, I could still hypothetically write on still... but again, def. no guarantee, and odds are that I won't). And generally speaking, I could wait a few years to clerk and would be completely happy with BigLaw.

Penn has been on the phone with me a few times and I think maybe it's that or the fact that it's a smaller school make it seem like transfer students tend to do well there, and have similar opportunities in terms of OCI, etc.

Does anyone have any insight into how transfers fare at Columbia?

Because as a transfer, you end up paying sticker price at both schools, it's so stressful to think I might make the wrong choice.

So, any insight/ links to articles/ personal anecdotes or comments/ etc. are welcome. :)

JohnnyUtah397

Re: UPenn vs. Columbia

Postby JohnnyUtah397 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Columbia's LR write-on competition was in May. If you missed that than no LR.

sonu718k

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm

JohnnyUtah397 wrote:Columbia's LR write-on competition was in May. If you missed that than no LR.

Yea, I'm aware of that. The only school I have the option to write-on to law review at this point is Penn. But the chances are so minimal of making it, so I don't know how much that should factor too much into my decision.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:26 pm

sonu718k wrote:
JohnnyUtah397 wrote:Columbia's LR write-on competition was in May. If you missed that than no LR.

Yea, I'm aware of that. The only school I have the option to write-on to law review at this point is Penn. But the chances are so minimal of making it, so I don't know how much that should factor too much into my decision.

True, but you could still do a secondary journal at Penn (not LR but certainly better than no journal), and your biglaw chances would be about par with Columbia. From what I understand via members of this community, Columbia transfers do quite well at OCI, but I can't imagine Penn transfers do substantially worse, if at all. If you don't get law review and chase a clerkship from biglaw, I don't think either school presents a considerable advantage over the other.

Long story short if you're set on a clerkship, I'd do everything within your power to write on at Penn. Chances are slim, but it's not impossible. I'd rather give myself any shot at a journal than no shot, especially with cost of attendance and biglaw chances being close to even.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Not a huge deal but if big law opportunities are equal, tuition at Penn is like 6000 cheaper plus cost of living in Philly is much more manageable. Plus you have the opportunity to do some sort of journal.

sonu718k

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Not a huge deal but if big law opportunities are equal, tuition at Penn is like 6000 cheaper plus cost of living in Philly is much more manageable. Plus you have the opportunity to do some sort of journal.

Actually, I could write-on to a journal at Columbia too, just not LR.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm

sonu718k wrote:
UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Not a huge deal but if big law opportunities are equal, tuition at Penn is like 6000 cheaper plus cost of living in Philly is much more manageable. Plus you have the opportunity to do some sort of journal.

I must have misread the information, I thought the only way on to any Columbia journal was to do the May write-on.

sonu718k

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
sonu718k wrote:

I must have misread the information, I thought the only way on to any Columbia journal was to do the May write-on.

The only way to write-on onto Law Review at Columbia was in May. The rest of the journals are still open to write-on to at Columbia. At Penn, even LR is still an option to write-on to.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I know a guy who transferred to Penn from a T2 school, and he ended up getting a V5 offer which he turned down for a V15 in NYC. Obviously this is just one anecdotal example, but I thought I'd share.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 pm

In my Penn transfer class, at least two got clerkships out of twenty or so transfers. Neither was on LR. I don't know if this is any better or worse than at Columbia but I thought you might like to know that you don't have to give up hope if you don't make Law Review.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd go to Penn. Firms only care about your grades wrt to their cutoffs at your old school and it's WAY cheaper. Also the small shot at LR

Return to “Transfers”