BU/BC to NYU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

BU/BC or NYU?

BU/BC
59%
NYU
41%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

BU/BC to NYU?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm at bu/bc and I am top 3%, LR, with a 25k scholarship (which the school may potentially increase). My goals are big law with a strong preference for NY as my significant other has family in the area though I wouldn't mind Boston.

I was accepted into NYU and moving to NY would probably mean another 60k-70k in loans. I'm not sure if the increased job prospects and the reputation of the school justifies the transfer. Also have an application in to Columbia that is pending but I feel like the same considerations would apply there as well. Any advice is appreciated

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Re: BU/BC to NYU?

Post by legalmindedfella » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm

A possible way to think about this...what are the chances you don't get NYC big law from BU/BC with top 3% and LR?

I would be completely shocked if you didn't get NYC big law from NYU with those #s (transfers seem to do very well). But if this is a 90% shot already...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Was in your exact situation, pretty much literally. Was at BU/BC with 25K scholarship, took on about 60K extra to go to NYU as a transfer out of desire to end up in NYC. I wasn't ranked quite as high as you are, but I'd still say go for it. Transferring was one of the best choices ever. 6 of us from my class at BU/BC transferred to NYU together, and we all (along with every other transfer I keep in touch with) ended up with great firm jobs, almost all V25 and above. NYU is particularly transfer-friendly, and transfers are among the most successful subsets of students at EIW.

Talk to people who are on LR and ranked very high. Your calculus is a bit different than mine since you are ranked top 3%, whereas I was top 10% and didn't make LR. My ability to get NYC out of BU/BC was a bit diminished compared to yours. If you stay, you likely will end up with an NYC job. I'm pretty certain of that. But NYU will offer you options and open doors that BU/BC won't.

pedroia

New

Post by pedroia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:25 pm

kaiser wrote:Was in your exact situation, pretty much literally. Was at BU/BC with 25K scholarship, took on about 60K extra to go to NYU as a transfer out of desire to end up in NYC. I wasn't ranked quite as high as you are, but I'd still say go for it. Transferring was one of the best choices ever. 6 of us from my class at BU/BC transferred to NYU together, and we all (along with every other transfer I keep in touch with) ended up with great firm jobs, almost all V25 and above. NYU is particularly transfer-friendly, and transfers are among the most successful subsets of students at EIW.

Talk to people who are on LR and ranked very high. Your calculus is a bit different than mine since you are ranked top 3%, whereas I was top 10% and didn't make LR. My ability to get NYC out of BU/BC was a bit diminished compared to yours. If you stay, you likely will end up with an NYC job. I'm pretty certain of that. But NYU will offer you options and open doors that BU/BC won't.
I agree. I'd say go to the school located in the market you want to be in. Plus, the far better name/reputation of the school will help considerably, both now and in the long run. Another consideration that hasn't been mentioned yet is alumni network. NYU is a larger school, and obviously places many more people in NYC than BU/BC - you will thus have more contacts and connections to make at NYU than BU/BC, which, though obviously placing plenty of people in NY, is clearly not nearly the feeder for NY biglaw that NYU/CLS are. I think this is a fairly easy choice.

Mjxcrowley

New

Post by Mjxcrowley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I am pretty much in your exact same place now, with a few differences. Have you decided what you are going to do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 am

OP here. I got into Columbia and decided to go. With NY as my target market, it was just too hard to pass up a Columbia JD. I also had cost mitigating factors come up with my living situation that meant I would not be paying the full sticker price to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”