Benefit to indicate my class size?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Benefit to indicate my class size?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I am lateral transferring to a flagship regional school from another (different states). Reasons were very personal, but in any event, I'm basically just going home.

My old school had a much smaller 1L class. I ranked just outside the top 25% (literally missed it by a hundredth of a GPA point). My old school doesn't rank outside the top 25%, but just gives percentile brackets. I am just trying to do everything in my power to make my resume the best representation going into OCI, and my old school's class size was pretty small (a little under 200), where my new school is a lot bigger.

I have seen threads where people have written that with bigger class sizes, being in certain percentiles is less impressive/indicative of where you fall without a rank. So I am wondering if putting my class size will help a little or if I am mistaken.

BVest

Re: Benefit to indicate my class size?

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am lateral transferring to a flagship regional school from another (different states). Reasons were very personal, but in any event, I'm basically just going home.

My old school had a much smaller 1L class. I ranked just outside the top 25% (literally missed it by a hundredth of a GPA point). My old school doesn't rank outside the top 25%, but just gives percentile brackets. I am just trying to do everything in my power to make my resume the best representation going into OCI, and my old school's class size was pretty small (a little under 200), where my new school is a lot bigger.

I have seen threads where people have written that with bigger class sizes, being in certain percentiles is less impressive/indicative of where you fall without a rank. So I am wondering if putting my class size will help a little or if I am mistaken.

If you were 1/100 away from top 25% I would list like this:

Southeast Regional Flagship University School of Law
Transferred to Northwest Regional University School of Law after first year 2012-2013
    • 3.31 GPA (25% = 3.32)

There you're essentially saying "I was essentially top 25%" without saying "I was top 25%." I don't think putting class size gains you anything beyond resume clutter.

Return to “Transfers”