Boston Univeristy v. University of Florida Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

UF or BU?

Stay at UF
25%
Transfer to BU
75%

Total votes: 12

Doug_Johnson

New

Boston Univeristy v. University of Florida

Post by Doug_Johnson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 am

Hey, I am considering transferring to BU from UF and wanted to get some input. I've had a great time at UF, but ultimately I want to live in Boston. I don't really have ties to either, I just know Florida is not for me and Boston would be an incredible place to live. I have about 15k at UF and it seems like they're willing to throw in another 10k to get me to stay here. I think I'll have to go full freight at BU. Basically, it'll be about 50k cheaper to stay at UF. Is it worth paying more money to build the network and connections in the place I want to live in OR are my chances decent enough to get me to Boston and make the sacrifice the next two years? Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated. I did not get into BC, so that option is not on the table.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Boston Univeristy v. University of Florida

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:51 am

Yeah UF ain't getting you to Boston especially w out preexisting ties

Doug_Johnson

New

Post by Doug_Johnson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:56 pm

What about for debt-averse reasons? If I try to land a job in Boston next summer?

Florida-Georgia Line

New

Post by Florida-Georgia Line » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Well, the Gator Nation is everywhere. But I agree with the first response. Worry about debt once you land a job where you want to be. You must be doing well at UF to have that kind of scholarship and for them to be throwing in more (I know for a fact they don't give out a lot of that), so you would probably do well during OCIs at BU. But unless you want to work in Florida or the Southeast, the Gator Nation starts to wane a little. Good luck with your decision!

Doug_Johnson

New

Post by Doug_Johnson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks! It's a big decision to up and move. I just want to know if I leave that decision is the right way (the opposite could be said as well).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Doug_Johnson wrote:Thanks! It's a big decision to up and move. I just want to know if I leave that decision is the right way (the opposite could be said as well).
Maybe it won't be right. You don't have any ties to Boston

I'd ask BU to put you in touch w transfers and ask how they did at OCI before you make your decision

Florida-Georgia Line

New

Post by Florida-Georgia Line » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Where is home for you? Have you spent some time in Boston? Would you be OK practicing in Florida or even the SE (i.e. Atlanta) - because this is likely where UF will best place you. You are right it is a big decision to up and move. As Rad Lulz said, it might not be the right decision, and then unfortunately you are stuck, but if you KNOW that Florida is not the right place, it doesn't really make much sense to stay.

Doug_Johnson

New

Post by Doug_Johnson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm from Phoenix originally, but lived near Atlanta the year before law school and tried to get into the Boston schools last year, but only landed at Northeastern. I decided it would be prudent to go to UF with some money and figure out what would happen next down the road. Now, I'm in the position to head up to Boston and leave FL behind. I've spent summers in Boston and experienced a little bit of the winter a couple of times. It doesn't scare me too bad. I'll talk to BU about transfers/OCI. My hunch is they really only take people who they think will do well, so it's self-fulfilling when they do all right. I'll ask though.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Doug_Johnson wrote:I'm from Phoenix originally, but lived near Atlanta the year before law school and tried to get into the Boston schools last year, but only landed at Northeastern. I decided it would be prudent to go to UF with some money and figure out what would happen next down the road. Now, I'm in the position to head up to Boston and leave FL behind. I've spent summers in Boston and experienced a little bit of the winter a couple of times. It doesn't scare me too bad. I'll talk to BU about transfers/OCI. My hunch is they really only take people who they think will do well, so it's self-fulfilling when they do all right. I'll ask though.
My hunch is that they want your tuition $, so ya I'd ask

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”