LR and Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LR and Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I was wondering what the proper etiquette is for accepting LR at your current school when you still have transfer applications pending. I was just invited to LR but was told that in order to formally accept the invite, I have to withdraw my transfer applications (only have 3 days to decide - no extensions are permitted because OCI bidding is soon).

Should I accept? I plan to transfer if I get into the schools I've applied to.

brotherdarkness

Re: LR and Transfer

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Several top schools.

I'm just wondering if I should accept, essentially lie about withdrawing the applications, and see if I get into other schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Any other advice??

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I would see if you could get an expedited decision from your transfer schools. If not, accept LR and do not withdraw your apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks. I think this is what I will likely do.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:12 pm

2013applicant wrote:I would see if you could get an expedited decision from your transfer schools. If not, accept LR and do not withdraw your apps.

Don't do this. An admission dean is not going to be like "OH OK! Let me speed up your application because it's not like every other applicant has the same problem as you!"

At best, it would do nothing. At worst, you would look bad.

Accept the LR invite. LRs have waitlists for a reason. They realize that people might transfer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 pm

What are the negative ramifications of breaking the LR agreement?

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 pm

bk1 wrote:What are the negative ramifications of breaking the LR agreement?

At the school I transferred from, none. It's just a way for LR editorial board to plan their class. There are mandatory training sessions. But there are always make-up mandatory training sessions, which are for people who couldn't make the original one, AND for people who get off the waitlist after people inevitably transfer. Imagine the likelihood of someone in the top 10% or whatever transferring. It is definitely not out of the ordinary at a T2.

Source: I am good friends with the LR EIC at the T2 I transferred from.

Or, you can go to the EIC and say: "I feel that I am better than this school, so I have applied to transfer. Thanks for the LR offer though. Mind extending the deadline so I can wait on some schools?" If you don't get into your transfers, that would be awkward.

Return to “Transfers”