Advice for someone transferring to HLS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
murrrie

Advice for someone transferring to HLS?

Postby murrrie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm

So I just heard from HLS and have like one month to get my shit together and move to Cambridge, have never been to the right coast, grew up in LA, and am a little intimidated.

Any comforting advice for me out there? Generally related to transfer to Harvard and also for simultaneous adjustment to the east coast?

Is making friends as a transfer as difficult as I hear it is? Any little bit helps, thanks!

unclepete

Re: Advice for someone transferring to HLS?

Postby unclepete » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm

I lived across the river while my SO was at HBS. Feel free to PM me.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Oh, and I`m also from CA.

Oh, and Congrats on HLS.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Congrats!

Advice for housing: Find a good rental company/agent. If you have a car, make sure there's parking available on your street or in a driveway. Ask when the windows were last replaced (a lot of places have old windows and let a ton of heat out - you can save a lot on heating with newer windows). And don't expect A/C. RCN > Comcast.

Transit: If you're planning to take the T, get a pass through Harvard. Also, if this is your main method of transport, try to live near a bus stop or subway station. It makes cold mornings easier. I live in Davis Square which isn't a bad commute to the school - 2 T stops and a 10-15 minute walk. If you're living in Cambridge it will likely be more expensive housing but less commuting time.

Transfers: Definitely join the transfer group - someone will reach out to you about it. We had a beginning of the year BBQ last year and events throughout the school year. There's also flag football and other stuff going on. Getting involved makes the transition much easier. I don't think it's more difficult to make friends than it is when first starting law school but YMMV.

Also: A lot of people stay at the Charles for EIP but you can stay somewhere else accessible by T and save $$$.

Good luck!

srilina

Postby srilina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Murrie,

I transferred to HLS last year. PM me and I'll get you into the Facebook group (although really its only for people 100% going to HLS :P). It includes a rather lengthy "transfer FAQ" that answers some of your questions.

Return to “Transfers”