Michigan v. Northwestern

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Michigan or Northwestern

Michigan
30%
Northwestern
70%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi, I was admitted to both schools and is now making a decision. If I wish to work for big law in Chicago. Which school would give me a better chance? Thanks for your input

Great Satchmo

Re: Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:50 pm

If you want biglaw in Chicago the answer is easily Northwestern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:If you want biglaw in Chicago the answer is easily Northwestern.

Thanks!

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I'll be making this same decision. Why is it such a "slam dunk" for Northwestern? Only 6% difference in big firm placement according to LST.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 pm

while 6% isnt a small difference, you should evaluate the school's oci system and examine your own candidacy. are you at the margins at your old school or a biglaw "lock"
Last edited by stillwater on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsn88831

Postby wsn88831 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm

K Rock wrote:I'll be making this same decision. Why is it such a "slam dunk" for Northwestern? Only 6% difference in big firm placement according to LST.

I guess Northwestern has better connection to law firms in chicago than Michigan, it seems that Michigan feeds most of its graduates to NY market...

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm

At my V100, Northwestern has the highest representation among partners, associates, and SAs.
Last edited by greenchair on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 pm

greenchair wrote:I work at a V100 in Chicago. Northwestern has the highest representation among partners, associates, and SAs.

Thank you for this great input!

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 pm

greenchair wrote:I work at a V100 in Chicago. Northwestern has the highest representation among partners, associates, and SAs.

Yet you still wouldn't tell people to take NU over Chi, would you?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm

K Rock wrote:

Which school is bigger?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 pm

K Rock wrote:

Because UChi and NU aren't really peers. UM and NU are. If you want Chicago biglaw, NU is likely a better bet due to a stronger connection to Chicago biglaw firms. Those firms look for and intend to hire more NU grads than UM grads. Because of that, NU likely gives transfers a better shot at Chicago biglaw.

I will say it is probably risky for a transfer to go after Chicago biglaw (from either UM or NU) considering how tough it is to get. It would be much safer to go for NYC.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm

K Rock wrote:I'll be making this same decision. Why is it such a "slam dunk" for Northwestern? Only 6% difference in big firm placement according to LST.

6% is more significant in view of the number of people that get biglaw jobs. If 100% of the class got those jobs, then 6% would be negligible. However, when 30%-40% are in play, 6% comprises a larger proportion that you may want to pay attention to.

Further, it's a logistical issue. First off, my guess (without even looking at the info) is that Northwestern has more Chicago firms, AmLaw and otherwise, coming to OCI. Beyond that, if you strike-out at OCI, you're at least already in the city rather than having to do your footwork from afar.

When transferring I was accepted to both schools, but since I didn't particularly want to find employment in Chicago I decided to go with Michigan essentially because housing was easier to find (although in retrospect I probably should have gone to Northwestern because living in Chicago would be a lot more fun than living in Ann Arbor - but that's personal taste).

Either way the numbers are not so skewed such that one decision would be completely wrong over another; one place just gives you the potential for a higher level of exposure and access to the legal community in the city should you so avail yourself. However, if you know you want to be in Chicago but you'd like two years of a college town before you go, then Michigan would be a fine choice.

wsn88831

Postby wsn88831 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 pm

will it change if I am comparing NU against columbia or NYU if I want to pursue biglaw in chicago? I am still waiting to hear from these two schools. Not sure if I should go ahead and pay my deposit at NU

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 am

wsn88831 wrote:will it change if I am comparing NU against columbia or NYU if I want to pursue biglaw in chicago? I am still waiting to hear from these two schools. Not sure if I should go ahead and pay my deposit at NU

If you absolutely want Chicago biglaw I would still take NU over CLS/NYU. But I think that's a risky maneuver. You really should balance how much you want Chicago vs how much you want biglaw since Chicago biglaw is so tough to get. If I were you I'd take CLS/NYU if you got it and gun towards NYC since that is more surefire way to get biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 pm

bk1 wrote:
wsn88831 wrote:will it change if I am comparing NU against columbia or NYU if I want to pursue biglaw in chicago? I am still waiting to hear from these two schools. Not sure if I should go ahead and pay my deposit at NU

If you absolutely want Chicago biglaw I would still take NU over CLS/NYU. But I think that's a risky maneuver. You really should balance how much you want Chicago vs how much you want biglaw since Chicago biglaw is so tough to get. If I were you I'd take CLS/NYU if you got it and gun towards NYC since that is more surefire way to get biglaw.

Thanks!

Return to “Transfers”