UCLA vs USC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawdude1251

UCLA vs USC

Postby lawdude1251 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Trying to decide which one to transfer to. Been accepted to both.

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

laotze

Re: UCLA vs USC

Postby laotze » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

lawdude1251 wrote:Trying to decide which one to transfer to. Been accepted to both.

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

Probably the two most similar law schools in the country, except maybe BC/BU. What are each offering you financially? What kind of law do you want to practice? Do you have connections at either institution?
You've given no relevant information for anyone here to base an answer upon.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 pm

lawdude1251 wrote:Trying to decide which one to transfer to. Been accepted to both.

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

I can't speak to the success of last years UCLA transfers. Nearly all of the USC transfers got big-law SAs this summer.

lawdude1251

Postby lawdude1251 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 pm

laotze wrote:

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

Probably the two most similar law schools in the country, except maybe BC/BU. What are each offering you financially? What kind of law do you want to practice? Do you have connections at either institution?

I dont know what "BC/BU" stand for. I know they are both very similar which makes it hard for me. I would like to practice big law and probably litigation of some sort - maybe business or corporate litigation.

I do not have any connections at either institution and neither school offers any money to transfer students.

I have heard that USC has an amazing alumni base but it is more regional than national. Whereas UCLA will carry me anywhere in the country. Granted I plan to stay in California - maybe move to the bay area. Also, I have heard that USC is a little bit rougher of a neighborhood though I have not been able to make it down to visit.

lawdude1251

Postby lawdude1251 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:44 pm

DildaMan wrote:

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

I can't speak to the success of last years UCLA transfers. Nearly all of the USC transfers got big-law SAs this summer.

Oh really?! That is awesome to know! Would you happen to know any of them personally that maybe I could seek out advice from on their experience with transferring?

laotze

Postby laotze » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:53 pm

lawdude1251 wrote:
laotze wrote:

Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks!

I dont know what "BC/BU" stand for. I know they are both very similar which makes it hard for me. I would like to practice big law and probably litigation of some sort - maybe business or corporate litigation.

I do not have any connections at either institution and neither school offers any money to transfer students.

I have heard that USC has an amazing alumni base but it is more regional than national. Whereas UCLA will carry me anywhere in the country. Granted I plan to stay in California - maybe move to the bay area. Also, I have heard that USC is a little bit rougher of a neighborhood though I have not been able to make it down to visit.

BC/BU stand for Boston College and Boston University.

USC is not in a rough neighborhood (though it is close to some), but it's certainly not as nice a neighborhood as UCLA's Westwood. UCLA is also one of the most beautiful campuses on this continent if you ask me, not that that should be a major consideration for you. TBH the law school buildings at both are probably the ugliest parts of campus, but again you shouldn't be basing this decision on aesthetics.
You can probably live close to USC more cheaply than you can live close to UCLA, but I can't say how significantly that will affect COA over two years. USC is also slightly more accessible by public transportation.

UCLA will probably not "carry [you] anywhere in the country," at least not without some fantastic grades, but you want to practice in Cali anyway, so either school is a good choice.
Honestly, you should do some more research on each and definitely visit both campuses. Both have very similar placement in California biglaw, so this decision has to do much more with personal fit than anything.

HOWEVER, most TLSers are probably going to strongly advise you against paying full sticker at either school. That may be worth it at Boalt, but it's a huge gamble at UCLA/USC. Where are you currently attending, and what is your current COA?

lawdude1251

Postby lawdude1251 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 pm

[/quote] HOWEVER, most TLSers are probably going to strongly advise you against paying full sticker at either school. That may be worth it at Boalt, but it's a huge gamble at UCLA/USC. Where are you currently attending, and what is your current COA?[/quote]

Currently in a T3 school and if I stay, I have a full ride for the rest of law school. But, that being said, I don't think I have much of a chance at big law or at least not at the firms I want. I feel like it probably is worth the expense just to not have to worry about a job. I am confident I will still get good grades at either school and I figure sure it will be a fortune, but I will be making enough to pay it back in only a few years...

laotze

Postby laotze » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 pm

lawdude1251 wrote:Currently in a T3 school and if I stay, I have a full ride for the rest of law school. But, that being said, I don't think I have much of a chance at big law or at least not at the firms I want.

Where are you currently ranked? If you're at the top of your class at a Cali T3 (UC Irvine? USF?) you may have a decent chance of getting legal employment, but no, probably not biglaw. At least you won't have crippling debt.

lawdude1251 wrote: I feel like it probably is worth the expense just to not have to worry about a job.

This is very misguided. You will have to worry a lot about getting biglaw from UCLA/USC. Competition is fierce and a lot of their students end up unemployed. Only about 70% of grads from either school manage to snag a legal job, and only about 30-35% get biglaw.

lawdude1251 wrote: I am confident I will still get good grades at either school and I figure sure it will be a fortune, but I will be making enough to pay it back in only a few years...

Everyone is confident they will work hard and make it to the top of the class. Most of them will not, and the brutally honest TLS mantra applies: "You are not a special snowflake." Don't bank on being one.
Even if you do get biglaw out of UCLA/USC, it will probably take you more than a "few years" to pay back two years of sticker COA. And if you fail to get biglaw, then god help you, because you'll probably be looking at six figure debt on a low-to-mid five figure salary.

Think and plan very carefully before you decide to transfer. Look at employment statistics from both schools before making any rash decisions you might regret for the rest of your life.

wolfgangjet

Postby wolfgangjet » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:06 am

Does anyone know how each of their OCI programs work? Im in at USC and will interview with UCLA tomorrow. This is likely a deciding factor if there is a major difference.

Return to “Transfers”