H or NYU for public interest? Also, any successful LDR?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stinson

Re: H or NYU for public interest? Also, any successful LDR?

Postby Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:50 pm

I think the way it works is that people arrange to meet in person with the professor infrequently, like every two weeks or whatever, and communicate by email otherwise. As long as you show up to the meetings the professor to the professor's satisfaction, it doesn't matter where you are because no one's confirming where you are. You just need a professor who's down with the arrangement.

Also, and I'm absolutely not suggesting totally making something up, the HLS administration is generally really accommodating and friendly to people. They're not out to get anyone; the rules are there to structure the conduct of their large student body but not catch people or cause them headaches. LDR's are something they understand. Family situations are something they understand. I don't think anyone will hassle you if you basically say that you want to spend some time with your partner and the professor is okay communicating via email/phone and that you'll get the work done. The place has 600 students a year - they see this stuff all the time.

zor

Postby zor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm surprised I forgot to post my final decision! I chose Harvard. I feel pretty good about it. My partner can work remotely a week a month, I'm looking forward to the clinics and opportunities, and overall everyone I spoke to in the HLS administration has been friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, passionate, and supportive.

I think my heart's still with NYU, but I feel I made the right choice. Maybe I'll drop in in two years and let future transfers know how it all worked out.

jbf

Postby jbf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:05 am

zor wrote:I'm surprised I forgot to post my final decision! I chose Harvard. I feel pretty good about it. My partner can work remotely a week a month, I'm looking forward to the clinics and opportunities, and overall everyone I spoke to in the HLS administration has been friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, passionate, and supportive.

I think my heart's still with NYU, but I feel I made the right choice. Maybe I'll drop in in two years and let future transfers know how it all worked out.

Congrats on the successful transfer! Is there any advice you can offer to an incoming 1L (to a t-30) who is hoping to make a similar transfer?

zor

Postby zor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

jbf wrote:Congrats on the successful transfer! Is there any advice you can offer to an incoming 1L (to a t-30) who is hoping to make a similar transfer?

Basically the same advice you'll see elsewhere in the forum: don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from, and don't spend your year with a "transfer mentality." Enjoy your time there. Make friends. Be involved with student groups. Build a relationship with a professor or mentor that you can talk about this stuff with and who will support your career. If you see everyone else as standing between you and Harvard not only will you psych yourself out but you won't have any fun, either, and the odds are VERY much against a transfer. The other 98% probably thought they would be in the top 2%. You can't guarantee anything--law school grades may not reflect your intelligence, passion, or ability to be a great lawyer. But they do determine your transfer odds. So do your absolute best, have fun, and see how the grades shake out before you get hung up on transferring.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 am

whynat wrote:Dating for 9 years and not married = issue.

Ooh, someone found the easter egg in the hypo

zor

Postby zor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

blsingindisguise wrote:

Ooh, another slavish devotee of hegemonic relationship structures. Oh sorry, just issue-spotting, right?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 am

zor wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:

Ooh, another slavish devotee of hegemonic relationship structures. Oh sorry, just issue-spotting, right?

Philosophize all you want about it, but if you try it at home, results may very.

zor

Postby zor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:29 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
zor wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:

Philosophize all you want about it, but if you try it at home, results may very.

Stop trolling. This thread is complete.

Return to “Transfers”