Looking for advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Looking for advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I am sure a lot of the transfers on here have similar questions....

I had a good 1L year, ending up ranked 1 or 2 at a school in the US news 60-70 range. I landed a 1L summer associate position at the top law firm in my state, and an internship in the state supreme court, on top of making some good connections in the state's legal community. It is my impression that though my school has a strong regional foothold, this region (state, even) is the "be all, end all" for the top graduates.

I do not necessarily know if I want to be stuck in a singular job market, despite the bright outlook, but I am also nervous about taking on an increased debt load in transferring to Michigan only to crash and burn thus ruining my work in 1L year.

Another factor, I would like to have a fighting chance at a "career" in academia, and it is my impression that T14 schools are where you need to be for that.

Any advice? I do realize how general my concerns are, and I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I'd welcome any help in making a decision.

Ill ask two other somewhat related questions here, though they may be more properly asked in a different forum... how have recent transfers at Michigan and other T14 schools done at OCI? And when they say transfers can write on to Law Review and the other journals, how much of a "real" possibility is that?

I did not disclose my school, and posted anonymously, but would gladly disclose that info in a PM were someone interested in offering any further specific advice.

Return to “Transfers”