Transfers: Doing 2 OCI’s and Double Dipping

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Transfers: Doing 2 OCI’s and Double Dipping

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Can you just reconsider transferring for another week? Do the ints and then decide?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
run26.2 wrote:Well then, why even do 2L or 3L? I agree with you to an extent, but the bottom line is that a lot of students complain about tuition, too many schools, too many law graduates, etc.

So is the answer simply to screw the schools because tuition is too high or whatever? Sounds hypocritical to me.

The firms want to interview you, you arguably have some right to be there by virtue of having paid tuition a year, and the whole point of going to law school is to get a job. I just don't see the ethics issue.

One issue comes to mind. For me, I would think about the duty I had to fellow students/future students at my school. I can see how others would argue that there is no such duty; I just see it differently.

If you take the interview through the school's OCI and later transfer, you take a slot away from another student at your old school.

Potential issues: A) Your school wants to place people into the firms that interview at OCI; losing a place to a student that will graduate from another school probably has a small, but non-zero impact on the schools reputation. B) The administration at your old school will probably take a more negative view of transfers, making it more difficult for future students to transfer (I experienced first hand some opposition by my old school in transferring, and they can easily do things to make it as difficult as they want to regarding your ability to transfer).

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:25 pm

run26.2 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
run26.2 wrote:Well then, why even do 2L or 3L? I agree with you to an extent, but the bottom line is that a lot of students complain about tuition, too many schools, too many law graduates, etc.

So is the answer simply to screw the schools because tuition is too high or whatever? Sounds hypocritical to me.

The firms want to interview you, you arguably have some right to be there by virtue of having paid tuition a year, and the whole point of going to law school is to get a job. I just don't see the ethics issue.

One issue comes to mind. For me, I would think about the duty I had to fellow students/future students at my school. I can see how others would argue that there is no such duty; I just see it differently.

If you take the interview through the school's OCI and later transfer, you take a slot away from another student at your old school.

Potential issues: A) Your school wants to place people into the firms that interview at OCI; losing a place to a student that will graduate from another school probably has a small, but non-zero impact on the schools reputation. B) The administration at your old school will probably take a more negative view of transfers, making it more difficult for future students to transfer (I experienced first hand some opposition by my old school in transferring, and they can easily do things to make it as difficult as they want to regarding your ability to transfer).

So then you would agree with me by what I said in my last post. Sending the emails, praying, and going to my new school? I have all the emails loaded up in draft form on gmail and am just waiting to click the button. I figure by noon I will decide.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 pm

swimmer11 wrote:So then you would agree with me by what I said in my last post. Sending the emails, praying, and going to my new school? I have all the emails loaded up in draft form on gmail and am just waiting to click the button. I figure by noon I will decide.

You sound like you are sensitive to the consequences of your decision on others, which I respect. It is difficult for me to tell you what to do, since I don't know that many details of your situation. My decision (i.e., to transfer or not and, hence, where to do OCI) would probably be based on the relative desirability of employment options at each school.

Happy to talk about it via PM if you're interested.

Return to “Transfers”