Stress: not knowing where I'm living next month!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
echooo23

Stress: not knowing where I'm living next month!

Postby echooo23 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 am

I feel like I need a fucking support group or something. The stress of not knowing where I might be next month is killing me. I have an apartment lease that I renewed because I'm hoping to stay in my city, but if that doesn't turn up I'll have to move. Finding subtenants, finding a new apartment in some new city/state, moving, my SO has to transfer/find a new job, deal with job fairs/OCIs, no money to relocate, etc. It's just too much fucking stress. To all those who transferred in previous years: how the did you do it? I'm going gray over here thinking about it.

stillwater

Re: Stress: not knowing where I'm living next month!

Postby stillwater » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 am

it is stressful. waiting always is. try to keep everything in perspective

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:29 pm

echooo23 wrote:I feel like I need a fucking support group or something. The stress of not knowing where I might be next month is killing me. I have an apartment lease that I renewed because I'm hoping to stay in my city, but if that doesn't turn up I'll have to move. Finding subtenants, finding a new apartment in some new city/state, moving, my SO has to transfer/find a new job, deal with job fairs/OCIs, no money to relocate, etc. It's just too much fucking stress. To all those who transferred in previous years: how the did you do it? I'm going gray over here thinking about it.

THIS.

Totally on the same boat. My SO is also in limbo because of this. I didn't renew my lease, and as of now I have no idea where I'll be next month. This is literally taking a toll on my health.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 pm

It is hard but you'll be OK. You need to be ready on the spot to sign a lease in NYC from what I hear. And everywhere else has plenty of places for rent.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm

echooo23 wrote:I feel like I need a fucking support group or something. The stress of not knowing where I might be next month is killing me. I have an apartment lease that I renewed because I'm hoping to stay in my city, but if that doesn't turn up I'll have to move. Finding subtenants, finding a new apartment in some new city/state, moving, my SO has to transfer/find a new job, deal with job fairs/OCIs, no money to relocate, etc. It's just too much fucking stress. To all those who transferred in previous years: how the did you do it? I'm going gray over here thinking about it.

I am not normally a very stress-prone person. But, when I was trying to transfer two years ago, it nearly got to me. I had signed a year long lease in my prior city, had three transfer options, none of which were in that city. I was working 2 legal jobs at once. I was trying to manage OCI bidding for my 1L school, on the off chance I stayed. I was managing a long distance relationship. I had nowhere to live in any of the cities I was looking at. Honestly, the stress of managing the whole transition was almost enough for me to decide not to transfer. I'm glad, in the end, that I decided to transfer from my former rust belt T2 to my top 10 alma mater, despite the stress.

I found a sublessor to defray all but about 2.5k in the year long lease. I found an awesome apartment in the city I moved to with 2 co-transfers for roommates. I ended up doing great at OCI at my new school, despite the fast transition. I wrote on to a journal. I ended up loving my new transfer school.

Having just graduated, I look back on that stressed out version of myself, and while I understand the stress, I realize that nothing I had to do to transfer was overly challenging, it was just a lot (cumulatively) and it required faith that things would work out.

This is all a round about way for me to say, to get through this, just know many have come before you and felt this stress and uncertainty. Uncertainly is inherently stressful, but, of the roughly 50 law students I know who've transferred, all have survived and the vast majority of them have thrived at their new school. Of the students I know who didn't transfer, they've thrived, too. So the moral of the story is, take a deep breath, do your best, be flexible and diligent, don't sweat the small stuff and most of all enjoy the process whether you transfer or not.

PM me if you need more moral support.

censored311

Postby censored311 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:33 pm

I know exactly where you are coming from. Just remember that if you're talented/smart enough to do well enough in law school to try and transfer, then there's almost 100% chance you are going to land on your feet.

Return to “Transfers”