Showing transfer on resume

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Showing transfer on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:57 am

Can someone please give an example (format) of what this should look like on your résumé? Thank you!

User avatar
$peppercorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby $peppercorn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:06 am

Something like this should be fine:

<Current law school>
J.D. candidate 2015
GPA . . .

<Past law school>
first year of law school, Academic Year 2012-2013
GPA . . .

<Undergrad/Grad> and so on.

rustyyoda
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby rustyyoda » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am

This is how mine looks:

University of New Law School, City, State
Juris Doctor, Expected May 2015

University of Old Law School, City, State
Dates Attended: August 2012-May 2013
-Rank (#/4 GPA)
-Honors listed out below (invited to LR, invited to MC, etc)

University of Undergrad, City, State
Degree, May 2012
-Honors

Then new section for experience

Anonymous User
Posts: 273453
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you!

Poopface
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Poopface » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am

what is the protocol once you actually have a gpa at your new school? Are you supposed to leave your old school on your resume or can you take all that off and just show your new school and new gpa?

Florida-Georgia Line
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Florida-Georgia Line » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 am

I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.

transfer57
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby transfer57 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am

Leave it on the resume and use it to your advantage. It says "I came, I saw, I conquered" and "I'm never satisfied with the status quo." Just sell it.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby zozin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 am

Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.

What happens when they request a transcript? I'm a transfer and I would only remove it after graduation.

Florida-Georgia Line
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Florida-Georgia Line » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:04 am

Give both?

User avatar
sap
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby sap » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 am

I've been told to remove law review once you're at your new school. If you're at a school that allows transfers to write-on, either (a) you have law review on your resume at your new school or (b) it makes it even more obvious that you aren't on law review at your new school. Though I left on the secondary I actually was a member of during 1L.

Florida-Georgia Line
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Florida-Georgia Line » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:45 am

sap wrote:I've been told to remove law review once you're at your new school. If you're at a school that allows transfers to write-on, either (a) you have law review on your resume at your new school or (b) it makes it even more obvious that you aren't on law review at your new school. Though I left on the secondary I actually was a member of during 1L.
.

I disagree. I made law review at my new school. I left my old school's law review on my resume though. Even though it only says "invited to law review" for my old school, when I went through OCI, employers were very impressed that I wrote on to two different law reviews. Im hoping to use the same strategy during the clerkship application process. As one poster said...selling that you are successful wherever you go can only be a plus. "I came, I saw, I conquered." Say it all over your resume.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 am

Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.


You were told wrong. You create a resume to get the job you want. Not the job that you have/had. Do you also include your high school academic record? No. You own and manage your resume. What you want the employer to know is what you put on there.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 am

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florida-Georgia Line
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Florida-Georgia Line » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:11 am

sparty99 wrote:
Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.


You were told wrong. You create a resume to get the job you want. Not the job that you have/had. Do you also include your high school academic record? No. You own and manage your resume. What you want the employer to know is what you put on there.


Your logic is flawed and you are coming off a little snarky to be honest. Obviously my high school grades arent on myy resume but my undergraduate GPA and information is on my resume so it does seem very dishonest to skip a year. And I have a job, and I got it by being very transparent about my situation.

In my opinion, it is easier second year to get better grades. There is no learning curve. For example, no one at my new school had a 4.0 their 1L year. So is it really fair for a transfer who came and got straight As in one semestet to represent that he/she has had a 4.0 for three semesters at the new school? No. Thats lying by omission.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 am

Florida-Georgia Line wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.


You were told wrong. You create a resume to get the job you want. Not the job that you have/had. Do you also include your high school academic record? No. You own and manage your resume. What you want the employer to know is what you put on there.


Your logic is flawed and you are coming off a little snarky to be honest. Obviously my high school grades arent on myy resume but my undergraduate GPA and information is on my resume so it does seem very dishonest to skip a year. And I have a job, and I got it by being very transparent about my situation.

In my opinion, it is easier second year to get better grades. There is no learning curve. For example, no one at my new school had a 4.0 their 1L year. So is it really fair for a transfer who came and got straight As in one semestet to represent that he/she has had a 4.0 for three semesters at the new school? No. Thats lying by omission.


If the student got a 4.0 at the new school, the student got a 4.0. That's not lying, that's their gpa. Is it fair? Finding a job isn't fair. You create a resume to your advantage and if it will pose more questions, then answers, then you design it in a way that avoids that situation. You can easily put the dates of attendance and leave the old school off the resume. However, if you were good enough to transfer, you probably had top grades and might keep the old school. But if the old school really sucked, then fuck it, take it off. That ain't "dishonest." That's you choosing not to display that information.

Perhaps the school might have academic dishonesty rules and this falls under it and so to avoid reprecussions from the new school you don't do this, but outside of that, you own your resume and make it so you can get the interview. If the gpa is below a 3.0, you don't include it. If you get more questions in the interview about whether you have been there three semesters versus one, then perhaps you put the old school. Or you design the new law school info in a way that shows it's grades for one semester. But at the end of the day, you do what you gotta do.

Florida-Georgia Line
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Florida-Georgia Line » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am

sparty99 wrote:
Florida-Georgia Line wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.


You were told wrong. You create a resume to get the job you want. Not the job that you have/had. Do you also include your high school academic record? No. You own and manage your resume. What you want the employer to know is what you put on there.


Your logic is flawed and you are coming off a little snarky to be honest. Obviously my high school grades arent on myy resume but my undergraduate GPA and information is on my resume so it does seem very dishonest to skip a year. And I have a job, and I got it by being very transparent about my situation.

In my opinion, it is easier second year to get better grades. There is no learning curve. For example, no one at my new school had a 4.0 their 1L year. So is it really fair for a transfer who came and got straight As in one semestet to represent that he/she has had a 4.0 for three semesters at the new school? No. Thats lying by omission.


If the student got a 4.0 at the new school, the student got a 4.0. That's not lying, that's their gpa. Is it fair? Finding a job isn't fair. You create a resume to your advantage and if it will pose more questions, then answers, then you design it in a way that avoids that situation. You can easily put the dates of attendance and leave the old school off the resume. However, if you were good enough to transfer, you probably had top grades and might keep the old school. But if the old school really sucked, then fuck it, take it off. That ain't "dishonest." That's you choosing not to display that information.

Perhaps the school might have academic dishonesty rules and this falls under it and so to avoid reprecussions from the new school you don't do this, but outside of that, you own your resume and make it so you can get the interview. If the gpa is below a 3.0, you don't include it. If you get more questions in the interview about whether you have been there three semesters versus one, then perhaps you put the old school. Or you design the new law school info in a way that shows it's grades for one semester. But at the end of the day, you do what you gotta do.


You must not have taken PR yet.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Florida-Georgia Line wrote:I'm a 2L at my new school, but I was told by the transfers that are now 3Ls that it is technically dishonest to remove your old school information and GPA. However they said that many of them removed it due to transfer bias of employers. I am happy with both my GPAs so I'm leaving both on there, but I can understand both sides.


You were told wrong. You create a resume to get the job you want. Not the job that you have/had. Do you also include your high school academic record? No. You own and manage your resume. What you want the employer to know is what you put on there.


Most employers are going to ask for transcripts and figure out you're a transfer no matter what you do. The comparison to your high school record is ridiculous.


this 100 times over. they'll ask for your transcripts, ruse will be up. however, there is no req't you display your old law school GPA on your resume because it will be on your transcript anyway.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm

You should display your 1L law school until you graduate. After that you can remove it.

If you want to downplay it on your resume you can format as follows:

New Law School, City, State
Juris Doctor Candidate, May 2014
Honors:
Activities:
Completed first-year at Old Law School, City, State, 2011-2012
GPA: X/4.0 (Top X%)
Honors:
Activities

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby Big Dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:51 pm

But if the old school really sucked, then ...take it off. That ain't "dishonest." That's you choosing not to display that information.


That is a mistake since it will leave an unexplained gap year on your resume. While an interviewing partner might miss it, the Recruiter/HR will not. And they will immediately wonder what you are hiding. (Or did I misinterpret and you are only suggesting to leave the GPA off.)

But you do not have to continue to list the GPA. And to the poster above, there is no NEED to list GPA of undergrad college. Sure, list it if its great, but once you have a professional/grad school GPA, there is no requirement to continue to list undergrad GPA.

btw: one of the arts of resumes is visual -- the more white space, the better. Brevity is good; redundancy is not.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Showing transfer on resume

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Full disclosure about your law school education is the better course of action. Why risk being viewed as sneaky or dishonest by a prospective employer by concealing information about one's most important year of legal education. Plus, transfers usually have stellar credentials from their prior school so why hide them ?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.