Dean's Certification Problem

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dean's Certification Problem

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 pm

So, it seems that I don't have the clean record I thought I did at my undergrad university. During my freshmen year I was warned for downloading music on campus (yep, I was an idiot) and apparently it's on my permanent record with the school and was disclosed to Harvard and Stanford in the Dean's Cert. When I filled out the application, I indicated that I had a clean record because I had forgotten about this seemingly insignificant incident. The warning wasn't from the RIAA and I never received anything from them.

I know I'll need to amend my application and have already contacted Harvard and Stanford about doing so, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of how this will affect my applications (am I dead in the water at this point?).

sap

Re: Dean's Certification Problem

Postby sap » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Last edited by sap on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm

sap wrote:I think you'll be fine. I got accepted to a couple T14s with C&F answers (I know that's not HS but everyone I talked to said that it wouldn't kill me there, either); if you also apologize and explain the oversight in your addendum, I doubt that they'll think twice about such a minor disciplinary issue. Just be very clear that you had forgotten it, that you take c&f seriously, that you weren't just not putting it on there because you figured it wasn't on your record - I think if they were perceiving you as trying to hide something, then you'd be screwed. C&F is like 50% asked because they don't want people who can't practice coming to their schools. A warning about illegal download in college isn't going to keep you from getting admitted to the bar.

If you could sell it, you might say some stuff about how as a real adult you understand the value of copyright now or something. "OMG PROPERTY DURING 1L TOTALLY OPENED MY EYES TO CORPORATE INTEREST!"

Do I need to tell the school I currently attend about this? How about the school(s) I have already been accepted to for a transfer that didn't ask for my undergrad dean's certification?

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I need to tell the school I currently attend about this? How about the school(s) I have already been accepted to for a transfer that didn't ask for my undergrad dean's certification?

Yes. The schools probably won't care, but the state bar will likely want to know if you were ever subject to official discipline at any of your institutions of higher learning, and if it was something before law school, they'll also request documentation proving that you disclosed such C&F issues to the law school you attended when you applied.

For example: http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/how- ... tions.html

As part of the Bar application, many states ask you to submit a copy of your law school application. The state’s Bar’s Character and Fitness Committee will compare your answers to its questions with those provided in your school application.

Return to “Transfers”