What happened to University of Illinois College of Law??

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jmls1987

What happened to University of Illinois College of Law??

Postby jmls1987 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 pm

I think I may be one of the few applying to U of I. What happened to their ranking ? The numbers scandal dropped them from the mid 20s all the way down to 47. Is it still a reputable school to graduate from, or are people trying to flee from the scene? Still better than my T4...but I probably not if I am offered a full scholarship, which is a strong possibility

Nammertat

Re: What happened to University of Illinois College of Law??

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:46 pm

jmls1987 wrote:I think I may be one of the few applying to U of I. What happened to their ranking ? The numbers scandal dropped them from the mid 20s all the way down to 47. Is it still a reputable school to graduate from, or are people trying to flee from the scene? Still better than my T4...but I probably not if I am offered a full scholarship, which is a strong possibility

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=illinois

That is what happened....

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I submitted a transfer app there sometime in April, since then, Itve been "File complete not in review." I kinda just forget about U of I since there's no movement and I already got accepted to other schools. Only communication I received from them was an email asking if I wanted to do their write on.

Regarding the scandal, look at what happened to Nova, dropped out of top 100 after their scandal. While I don't think UIUC will fall into TTT, it's possible it falls into T2. (Although ranking change only matters if the perception of employer changes, which I don't think it's likely given the established alumni network)

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm

kyle010723 wrote:I submitted a transfer app there sometime in April, since then, Itve been "File complete not in review." I kinda just forget about U of I since there's no movement and I already got accepted to other schools. Only communication I received from them was an email asking if I wanted to do their write on.

Regarding the scandal, look at what happened to Nova, dropped out of top 100 after their scandal. While I don't think UIUC will fall into TTT, it's possible it falls into T2. (Although ranking change only matters if the perception of employer changes, which I don't think it's likely given the established alumni network)

How much opportunism do you think we're seeing now? People applying to UIUC mid-40s with the hopes it will one day regain its ranking in the 20s?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Durkheim wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:I submitted a transfer app there sometime in April, since then, Itve been "File complete not in review." I kinda just forget about U of I since there's no movement and I already got accepted to other schools. Only communication I received from them was an email asking if I wanted to do their write on.

How much opportunism do you think we're seeing now? People applying to UIUC mid-40s with the hopes it will one day regain its ranking in the 20s?

whether or not it regains its ranking is pretty immaterial. those types of fluctuations are meaningless. id care about their placement. if its rapidly vanishing, ya, be concerned. but LOL at employers eagerly awaiting shitnews rankings to decide where to recruit

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I think the ranking will undoubtedly have an effect on applicant pool with lower credentials. Unless UIUC pony up and throw money at high stat applicants, the "quality" of student will suffer, which may or may not affect employment prospect in the long run. But to quote an economist, in the long run, everyone's dead anyway.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the responses. My file just turned to "File complete not in review" Should I expect it to stay like that for awhile, or should I contact the admissions office?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 pm

jmls1987 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. My file just turned to "File complete not in review" Should I expect it to stay like that for awhile, or should I contact the admissions office?

I'd talk to them. I doubt they're inundated with applications. As to why it's dropped, the rankings scandal didn't help. Also, Champaign is not a place people want to live for three years but I'm not sure if that matters. FWIW I know three recent graduates. Two are employed at Vault firms in Chicago and the other is at a respectable midlaw firm. The Vault people were Summa/LR/Multiple CALI superstars though. IMO if you get a full scholarship I'd stick around at your current school. At least you can clerk for a Chicago firm that may hire you when you graduate, assuming you're at Marshall.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

jmls1987 wrote:Thanks for the responses. My file just turned to "File complete not in review" Should I expect it to stay like that for awhile, or should I contact the admissions office?

I guess it all depends on when will they start to review transfer applications. So I do not have an answer.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 am

kyle010723 wrote:
jmls1987 wrote:Thanks for the responses. My file just turned to "File complete not in review" Should I expect it to stay like that for awhile, or should I contact the admissions office?

I guess it all depends on when will they start to review transfer applications. So I do not have an answer.

I just got an email from admissions. They start reviewing applications this week and will have some decisions out by the end of the week. GL to all that applied.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 am

jmls1987 wrote:I just got an email from admissions. They start reviewing applications this week and will have some decisions out by the end of the week. GL to all that applied.

UofI is severly behind their game, peer schools already issued decisions long ago

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Is it worth it to transfer to still?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 pm

If you really want to go, I dont see why not. Though I am not sure if the deadline is up yet.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm

kyle010723 wrote:If you really want to go, I dont see why not. Though I am not sure if the deadline is up yet.

I have already applied a couple weeks ago. I was just wondering if it would still be worth it to go to the school considering the fallout.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm sure it stills place decently well in Chicago and IL in general. But who knows what will happen in the long run.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:If you really want to go, I dont see why not. Though I am not sure if the deadline is up yet.

I have already applied a couple weeks ago. I was just wondering if it would still be worth it to go to the school considering the fallout.

Depends on where your coming from. I'm coming from a T4 with no scholarship offered yet...so if I get accepted, it will be an easy choice for me.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm

jmls1987 wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:

Depends on where your coming from. I'm coming from a T4 with no scholarship offered yet...so if I get accepted, it will be an easy choice for me.

I bet I can guess which one :). I am coming from a TT with a fairly good scholarship. However, I don't know if the employment prospects from U of I as a transfer are better than they would be for where I am at now.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:19 pm

In at UIUC today via email. A year ago, I'd jump on the opportunity in a heartbeat, but the point is moot now

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:07 pm

In as well with 25% scholarship for remaining two years. Used to want this school bad. I dunno though. ....

Return to “Transfers”