Re-Rankings at your law school - normal? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re-Rankings at your law school - normal?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:57 pm

My school sent out an email re-ranking everyone based on the number of persons who applied to transfer (so basically, they acted like the 15-20 people who requested dean certs were already gone from the school and re-ranked everyone with a higher class rank). Is this normal? Do other schools do this and what is the rationale for this? How does this even work?

I inquired about this and was basically told that simply requesting a transcript (not even actually applying) was enough to forfeit my ranking to another student. Does anyone know what happens if I decide to stay at my school? Would I lose my ranking to another person? Is it possible that someone with a lower GPA would now be ranked higher than me?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm a bit concerned as I did not even make the decision to transfer yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Re-Rankings at your law school - normal?

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm

this sounds unbelievable TTTT

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:01 pm

If your school actually does this you should out the school. Put them on blast so other students know what sort of shady shit this school is up to.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

I do think this is bullshit. The only thing I wonder is if there's a deadline coming up for OCI bids or something where the school wants people who are staying to know their adjusted ranks. But even if that's the justification, it's still pretty outrageous. (I mean, how do you forfeit a ranking?? You're ranked where you're ranked!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm

stillwater wrote:this sounds unbelievable TTTT
Nope, T25 school. I thought this was odd, had never heard of another school doing this and just wanted to verify before I made too big a deal about this.

Not ready to out them yet, I know there are a few others in my class on TLS, so not ready to put too much info on here about my particular class rank, but I know they are probably as mystified as I am. I think 2-3 others in my class who are in the top 10 also put in to transfer, so I'm interested in their thoughts, but they may be more committed to transferring so they may not be as concerned as I am. My particular position - I was putting out feelers to see, had not really decided one way or another. In fact, I was leaning more toward staying, but I'm so insulted by all of this that now I wonder.

A. Nony Mouse, yes, their justification was that with OCI deadlines approaching, it was "fair" to the students who were for sure staying to give them an adjusted rank. My argument was that I had only requested dean certs, I had not yet even applied to another school (I haven't yet, my apps are still pending - deadlines are not even til July 1 with a few exceptions). I also asked what would happen if I stayed - they told me I would share a class rank with someone else. They also told me that this means that someone who was ranked lower than me could claim a higher rank than me in OCIs. This seems unbelievable to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:this sounds unbelievable TTTT
Nope, T25 school. I thought this was odd, had never heard of another school doing this and just wanted to verify before I made too big a deal about this.

Not ready to out them yet, I know there are a few others in my class on TLS, so not ready to put too much info on here about my particular class rank, but I know they are probably as mystified as I am. I think 2-3 others in my class who are in the top 10 also put in to transfer, so I'm interested in their thoughts, but they may be more committed to transferring so they may not be as concerned as I am. My particular position - I was putting out feelers to see, had not really decided one way or another. In fact, I was leaning more toward staying, but I'm so insulted by all of this that now I wonder.

A. Nony Mouse, yes, their justification was that with OCI deadlines approaching, it was "fair" to the students who were for sure staying to give them an adjusted rank. My argument was that I had only requested dean certs, I had not yet even applied to another school (I haven't yet, my apps are still pending - deadlines are not even til July 1 with a few exceptions). I also asked what would happen if I stayed - they told me I would share a class rank with someone else. They also told me that this means that someone who was ranked lower than me could claim a higher rank than me in OCIs. This seems unbelievable to me.
Holy shit, send this to ATL and put this school on blast.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the outrage, guys. Makes me feel vindicated, at least to myself :)

I'm going to try and talk with a dean or two this week, I'll post here on the outcome/result.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 pm

This is good IMO. Fucks over TTTransfers but helps people who stay by giving them a better ranking.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This is good IMO. Fucks over TTTransfers but helps people who stay by giving them a better ranking.
Never thought I'd see the day you turned on the people. This is TTTT tactics at its finest.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This is good IMO. Fucks over TTTransfers but helps people who stay by giving them a better ranking.
Never thought I'd see the day you turned on the people. This is TTTT tactics at its finest.
Helps their students get jerbs.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the outrage, guys. Makes me feel vindicated, at least to myself :)

I'm going to try and talk with a dean or two this week, I'll post here on the outcome/result.
No shit you should be outraged. If you stay and the school and they keep the "adjusted" rankings I would go fucking apeshit. It seems like blatant misrepresentation. In effect they would be saying that another student is, say ranked 25th when in reality they might be 30th. I wonder if they disclosed this to employers. "Warning rankings may be lower than they appear to be."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:25 pm

You should be sending this info to ATL. It is important that other students know about what this school is doing, because that is wrong.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Do what's best for you. If you transfer and feel comfortable exposing your prior school that is up to you. Not sure if there would be merit in devaluing the school you attend. Although it is also a moral question. Good luck OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:56 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the outrage, guys. Makes me feel vindicated, at least to myself :)

No shit you should be outraged. If you stay and the school and they keep the "adjusted" rankings I would go fucking apeshit. It seems like blatant misrepresentation. In effect they would be saying that another student is, say ranked 25th when in reality they might be 30th. I wonder if they disclosed this to employers. "Warning rankings may be lower than they appear to be."
I will see how it goes this week, when I finally talk to someone.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:57 pm

So what would your rank even be? N/A?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:So what would your rank even be? N/A?
From what he posted before it sounds like he would now share his rank with the undeserved student who got the bump during the intervening time.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
From what he posted before it sounds like he would now share his rank with the undeserved student who got the bump during the intervening time.
So no real harm done. Probably helps him since he'll get moved up because others get bumped above him.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
So no real harm done. Probably helps him since he'll get moved up because others get bumped above him.
No, he wouldn't receive any bump because he's with the group of students who have temporarily forfeited their rank because they GASP applied for a Dean's Cert. They're clearly using this as a strategy to dissuade transfers by holding their rankings over their head. It's bullshit.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 pm

The whole idea of taking the ranking away makes no sense. You are mathematically ranked X in your class. If you share the ranking though (unless your #1 I guess) then I guess there is no harm done like someone above said.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Br3v wrote:The whole idea of taking the ranking away makes no sense. You are mathematically ranked X in your class. If you share the ranking though (unless your #1 I guess) then I guess there is no harm done like someone above said.
I don't know, to me, you're still being penalized just for getting a Dean Cert. to look into the possibility of transferring. You might end up with the same ranking as before, but a few of those ranked lower than you have been bumped above you simply because they didn't get the cert. and now you're tied with a student who was previously ranked below you .... ALL BECAUSE YOU JUST WANTED TO LOOK INTO THE OPTION OF TRANSFERRING.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:38 pm

So instead of being #5 in the class alone, someone else might also be #5? Gee, yeah, that's really gonna hurt things. But when ten of the top 20 or so students transfer out, all the people who didn't leave have a chance at doing better at OCI. From the perspective of trying to get the most people in your class a good job, I don't see the problem. It's not like you lose your rank.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:So instead of being #5 in the class alone, someone else might also be #5? Gee, yeah, that's really gonna hurt things. But when ten of the top 20 or so students transfer out, all the people who didn't leave have a chance at doing better at OCI. From the perspective of trying to get the most people in your class a good job, I don't see the problem. It's not like you lose your rank.
Only way I could see it being a problem at all is if OPs school only places in a very small market with like 1 or 2 big firms everyone guns for that only hostorically hire like the top 20 students or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Like Ded Precedent said, all I did was look into the idea of transferring, and if I stay (which is more likely than not), I now have to share a class rank with someone who did not earn them. And it's possible that someone who is ranked below me could now claim a higher rank than me.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”