Dean's Cert Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dean's Cert

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Is it typical to expect schools to handle the entire deans certification process once requested? Even though I am out of town, my schools' registrar has been unwilling to walk up the flight of stairs to have the form signed by the dean after she has filled it out. Instead, I need to return to school and handle that myself. Is that normal or is my school being particularly difficult?

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Re: Dean's Cert

Post by lasersgopewpew » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Sounds pretty brutal. I haven't run into any of that. Maybe the Dean makes her do it, or maybe she doesn't have the nerve to just tell you the Dean wants to talk to you about transferring, or maybe she's taking it personally and isn't that willing to help. Either way, I'd rate it "particularly difficult."

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it typical to expect schools to handle the entire deans certification process once requested? Even though I am out of town, my schools' registrar has been unwilling to walk up the flight of stairs to have the form signed by the dean after she has filled it out. Instead, I need to return to school and handle that myself. Is that normal or is my school being particularly difficult?
are you at LOYOLA LA?

Durkheim

New

Post by Durkheim » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:42 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:Sounds pretty brutal. I haven't run into any of that. Maybe the Dean makes her do it, or maybe she doesn't have the nerve to just tell you the Dean wants to talk to you about transferring, or maybe she's taking it personally and isn't that willing to help. Either way, I'd rate it "particularly difficult."
In essence, this.

Though you were enrolled through a symbiotic numbers game, institutions don't like to lose their top performers, and can even feel betrayed. Even if they're completely neutral, you WILL be at the bottom of their to-do pile. You should contact the registrar, explain why you're intending to transfer, express appreciation of the institution that taught you to teach yourself the law, and ask them to help you on your way. Then ASK if you should contact the Dean and relay the sentiment personally. Don't circumvent them, criticize them, or alienate them. You'll probably need a final/official set of documents before the transfer is official.

I was very candid about my intent to transfer -- to my letter writers, the Registrar and the Dean. I had highly personal reasons for transferring that had nothing to do with the school, its rank, or any bad experience -- and I paid tribute to that school in my transfer PS. Everyone has been incredibly supportive.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 pm

There are schools that ask for Dean's certs for law school? I only had to do undergrad...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Robot Pimp

New

Post by Robot Pimp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Durkheim wrote:I was very candid about my intent to transfer -- to my letter writers, the Registrar and the Dean. I had highly personal reasons for transferring that had nothing to do with the school, its rank, or any bad experience -- and I paid tribute to that school in my transfer PS. Everyone has been incredibly supportive.
That's all fine and dandy if your reasons for transferring are personal, but most people transfer to jump the rankings for prestige, better employment prospects, etc. I don't think your current law school would want to hear that.

Durkheim

New

Post by Durkheim » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Robot Pimp wrote:
Durkheim wrote:I was very candid about my intent to transfer -- to my letter writers, the Registrar and the Dean. I had highly personal reasons for transferring that had nothing to do with the school, its rank, or any bad experience -- and I paid tribute to that school in my transfer PS. Everyone has been incredibly supportive.
That's all fine and dandy if your reasons for transferring are personal, but most people transfer to jump the rankings for prestige, better employment prospects, etc. I don't think your current law school would want to hear that.
Sure, but that hardly precludes diplomacy.

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Post by lasersgopewpew » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:26 pm

lisavj wrote:There are schools that ask for Dean's certs for law school? I only had to do undergrad...
Really? All of the schools I considered require something from the law school. Either on their own form (H, Columbia, Chicago, NYU), or on a self-generated letter from the registrar or Dean (Penn). Of those, only H and NYU have required a UG cert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am

OP here. Not at Loyola. But I was able to work it out with the registrar's office in the end. I found someone who was far more accommodating than the first individual I spoke with. Thanks for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”