seat deposits and transferring

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dsb83

seat deposits and transferring

Postby dsb83 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 pm

What are the seat deposits typically with transfers and when are they due? I'm top 5% at a school in the 40-50 range. My preferred schools would be Columbia, NYU, Berkeley and Texas. I would consider Georgetown, though...some personal factors at play make D.C. desirable.

A post in the Georgetown thread about a $1000 deposit made me worry a bit. Is this typical? Is there any way to drag it out a bit? I'd like to start hearing from my first choices before I put a grand down and that isn't likely until mid to late July. Thoughts?

Tigress

Re: seat deposits and transferring

Postby Tigress » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

dsb83 wrote:What are the seat deposits typically with transfers and when are they due? I'm top 5% at a school in the 40-50 range. My preferred schools would be Columbia, NYU, Berkeley and Texas. I would consider Georgetown, though...some personal factors at play make D.C. desirable.

A post in the Georgetown thread about a $1000 deposit made me worry a bit. Is this typical? Is there any way to drag it out a bit? I'd like to start hearing from my first choices before I put a grand down and that isn't likely until mid to late July. Thoughts?

1000 is a lot of money! drag it out and tell them to possibly give you some extra time. Don't give that kind of money before you hear from the better schools you applied to

transfer57

Re: seat deposits and transferring

Postby transfer57 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm

dsb83 wrote:What are the seat deposits typically with transfers and when are they due? I'm top 5% at a school in the 40-50 range. My preferred schools would be Columbia, NYU, Berkeley and Texas. I would consider Georgetown, though...some personal factors at play make D.C. desirable.

Yep. They're all really expensive. You either pay them or someone else does. After first semester I applied to GULC ED and got in. They required a $600 seat deposit. Then once spring rolled around they required a second deposit, $1000. I had to pay them b/c I hadn't yet seen my spring grades and didn't know if I'd be able to get in anywhere else.

Long story short, 3 days after sending GULC a total of $1600, I got my spring grades back and realized I could go higher. So now I'm enrolled in another school and have forfeited $1600 to GULC.

One more thing - just cut my new transfer school a check for $1000 for their seat deposit...still havent head back from Harvard. If I get into H, then it looks like I'll be out $2600. It would be money well spent in the long run, but it's still a hard pill to swallow.

You just got to look at these seat deposit things as insurance. If you don't get in anywhere else, you want to make sure you can still go to the school you placed a deposit with.

Return to “Transfers”