Intro course on a transcript Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intro course on a transcript

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 am

Question: for some reason my school has an intro course where we receive a letter grade, not the normal pass fail, on our transcripts. The course is 2 credits and frankly a load of crap. The curve is so tight as they want kids to be encouraged so even to get an A- is an unusual feat. I got a B+, and it's my only B range score all 1L. My overall gpa now is a 3.888 and not a 3.94 if that score weren't included. How will schools view this? Should
I write an addendum explaining this?

Thanks guys!

Geist13

Silver

Re: Intro course on a transcript

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: for some reason my school has an intro course where we receive a letter grade, not the normal pass fail, on our transcripts. The course is 2 credits and frankly a load of crap. The curve is so tight as they want kids to be encouraged so even to get an A- is an unusual feat. I got a B+, and it's my only B range score all 1L. My overall gpa now is a 3.888 and not a 3.94 if that score weren't included. How will schools view this? Should
I write an addendum explaining this?

Thanks guys!
No you'll come off as a major douche (don't write addendums to employers, dude). Plus since everyone in the school takes the class, the playing field is level and everyone could write the same addendum.

You didn't do well enough to beat the curve in one class, it happens.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:54 am

I hear you. Not sure I'd come off as a "dousche". Plus,
No it isn't even playing field as not all schools are given a letter grade.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:36 am

Geist13 wrote: (don't write addendums to employers, dude).
This is the transfer forum, breh

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Geist13 wrote: (don't write addendums to employers, dude).
This is the transfer forum, breh

My B. disregard everything I said. Have no clue about transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

Aright, now that that's settled---

Does anyone know if there is anything appropriate/non-douchey to say for a TRANSFER?

2013Transfer

New

Post by 2013Transfer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 am

psach44 wrote:Aright, now that that's settled---

Does anyone know if there is anything appropriate/non-douchey to say for a TRANSFER?
How much did this change your rank? Was it a significant drop from fall to spring?

maximator

New

Post by maximator » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: for some reason my school has an intro course where we receive a letter grade, not the normal pass fail, on our transcripts.
I'm unclear about the above. Does your school not use letter grades at all? Or do you mean that most schools would use pass/fail for an intro course of this kind.

I really don't know how you could write anything that doesn't sound like complaining about the curve. A 3.88 is still a great GPA. I think you would only weaken your application by writing some kind of addendum.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

Really?? First of all, it's common for schools actually to grade these courses. Second, it's your only B range grade and you want to write an addendum? That would be for a significant outlier. Getting a B+ along with all A-range grades is not a significant outlier. Writing an addendum will only suggest that it's UNTHINKABLE for you to get a B-range grade, which yes, will make you look like a douche.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 am

1. I believe many kids write addendum addressing these issues. While it might be a reach to call it an "outlier" it is still different. I could understand how it might come off douchey, but I think if it is written properly explaining the object and uniqueness of the class then it might be explainable. In the end, the class's purpose is to introduce the students to legal analysis while awarding grades that are neither too encouraging nor too discouraging.

2. I am not aware of the other schools that don't have just the normal P/F. I might be incorrect though...

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 am

In terms of rank, we do not get exact numbers, just percentage. But, numerically, I would go from a 3.888 to a 3.94

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 am

I don't know of anyone writing an addendum to explain a B+ or any grade where there isn't an explanation other than "the course is crap and the curve is too tight" - addenda usually explain significant personal circumstances that explain why something is an outlier. You haven't mentioned anything about your life that caused you difficulties in performing more successfully in the class. Therefore, why would you write an addendum?

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 am

I actually just spoke with a rep from Harvard admissions and she said that kids do it all the time...

Listen, it's non-essential; I don't have to. Was just wondering...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 am

Whether students do it all the time doesn't answer whether it's a good idea. But you know best what will work for you, so good luck with the transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks, good sir.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 pm

If you have a compelling reason, I guess it couldn't hurt. But if you don't and try to bullshit it, it'll probably hurt your application.

For the record, shitty class + tight curve is not a compelling reason. Your brother dying a week before finals + your apartment flooding and losing all yours notes might be a compelling reason.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”