Transferring from Median at MVP

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring from Median at MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I am at median after 1L. I have significant personal reasons for wanting to be at CCN.

There don't seem to be many posts about inter-t14 transfers, and certainly not people at median. Does anyone have experience with this?

westphillybandr

Re: Transferring from Median at MVP

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am at median after 1L. I have significant personal reasons for wanting to be at CCN.

There don't seem to be many posts about inter-t14 transfers, and certainly not people at median. Does anyone have experience with this?

Frankly I'm not surprised you haven't found any information. Do you think it is feasible for a median MVPer to transfer to CCN? I'd guess not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:51 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am at median after 1L. I have significant personal reasons for wanting to be at CCN.

Frankly I'm not surprised you haven't found any information. Do you think it is feasible for a median MVPer to transfer to CCN? I'd guess not.

That was super informative, thanks.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

Didn't want to leave you hanging. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

Didn't want to leave you hanging. Good luck!

haha, touche.

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I know someone who transferred from MVP to CCN. I don't know exactly what his grades were, but I got the feeling there were Top 20%. The only thing I would mention is that he got a lot of weird questions at OCI about why he transferred. Everyone questions such a close-ranking transfer. However, he said if you have a compelling reason (which he did) for wanting to transfer, then you can usually explain it away. However, he predicted he would have done better at MVP's OCI than he did at CCN's.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm

At NYU, there were a few Penn and Michigan transfers, but idk what their rank was. I'd imagine they were probably top 25% or so.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

westphillybandr wrote:

OP if you really want to, I would give it a shot. The adcomms know that if you go to MVP you are just as smart as the people at CCN since most MVP people turn down CCN offers. You are going to be paying them $55,000 a year and you don't affect their LSAT and GPA medians. They literally have no reason not to take you besides snobbery. YOLO.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

OP if you really want to, I would give it a shot. The adcomms know that if you go to MVP you are just as smart as the people at CCN since most MVP people turn down CCN offers. You are going to be paying them $55,000 a year and you don't affect their LSAT and GPA medians. They literally have no reason not to take you besides snobbery. YOLO.

Or maybe they have enough transfer applications coming from kids who were top 5-10% from T30 schools to fill the transfer class, and they would view this is superseding top 50% from MVP? Totally agree that MVP students are of course just as smart as CCN students. 1 or 2 LSAT points doesn't make a difference. But do you think top 50% at MVP is somehow more desirable than top 5-10% from a T30 or so school? I can't imagine that is the case. And that is why it is questionable as to whether OP would get in. But all that being said, its worth a shot, and you never know what will happen, especially since NYU and Columbia have such huge transfer classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:38 pm

OP here. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be applying and hoping for the best. Totally agree that I shouldn't be holding my breath though.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm

There are a couple of MVP transfers at CLS. I don't know their ranks, though. All of them transferred for personal reasons (significant others/family). Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe the transfer stat thread has some data?

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 pm

How did this turnout?

Return to “Transfers”