Another should I transfer...?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another should I transfer...?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Above a 4.0 GPA at MVPB.
applying to HYS

i am not interested in working at a firm, but that is all i will say about my interests (for fear of being "outed")

would you transfer?

laotze

Re: Another should I transfer...?

Postby laotze » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above a 4.0 GPA at MVPB.
applying to HYS

i am not interested in working at a firm, but that is all i will say about my interests (for fear of being "outed")

would you transfer?

How do finances factor in this decision? I'm sure you've read some of the many threads/FAQs pointing out that obtaining a vertical transfer offer is an extremely effective way of negotiating additional merit aid at your present school. And with a 4.0 I'm assuming you have a good enough chance of HYS admission to make it worth a shot.

If you already have a full ride at MVPB, then I can't imagine why you would transfer without a specific and compelling reason (e.g. federal clerkship odds at Yale, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Original OP here.

i am paying sticker.

laotze

Postby laotze » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original OP here.

i am paying sticker.

Then I would definitely apply. If admitted, use HYS offer to squeeze some coinage out of your current school. It's a win-win situation: either they budge and give you a lucrative scholarship to keep you there, or you wind up at HYS in no worse a financial situation than you were before, though with better clerkship (or whatever "non-firm" thing you intend to do) prospects. If you don't get in, then you haven't lost anything but time, albeit a valuable thing to lose in law school.

If you are aiming for a clerkship, just make sure the transfer app process doesn't interfere with law review, since from what I understand that's more or less a requirement if you want even a marginally decent shot.

If you're aiming for government, then god help you, but you'll have a much better shot from HY than from MVPB.

If you're aiming for PI straight out of law school, then why are you paying sticker to begin with? ;)

Disclaimer: I am a 0L, so I ultimately have no idea what the fuck I am talking about.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

laotze wrote:

i am paying sticker.

Then I would definitely apply. If admitted, use HYS offer to squeeze some coinage out of your current school. It's a win-win situation: either they budge and give you a lucrative scholarship to keep you there, or you wind up at HYS in no worse a financial situation than you were before, though with better clerkship (or whatever "non-firm" thing you intend to do) prospects. If you don't get in, then you haven't lost anything but time, albeit a valuable thing to lose in law school.

If you are aiming for a clerkship, just make sure the transfer app process doesn't interfere with law review, since from what I understand that's more or less a requirement if you want even a marginally decent shot.

If you're aiming for government, then god help you, but you'll have a much better shot from HY than from MVPB.

If you're aiming for PI straight out of law school, then why are you paying sticker to begin with? ;)

Disclaimer: I am a 0L, so I ultimately have no idea what the fuck I am talking about.

GODDAMN 0L SCUM

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Need at least some less general info about your goals. Also, what kind of need aid would you be looking at from YSH? It would be a huge factor if you're paying sticker now but you'd get, say, 3/4 need aid at YSH.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:54 pm

laotze wrote:

i am paying sticker.

Get the goddamn fuck out you know-nothing 0L piece of human excrement.

laotze

Postby laotze » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
laotze wrote:

i am paying sticker.

Get the goddamn fuck out you know-nothing 0L piece of human excrement.

Getting my just deserts for not having read this forum's stickies, I see. Carry on; I shall bear the bruises with penitence.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 pm

You have derailed this thread. For that, your punishment is death by exile... from the transfer forum.

Return to “Transfers”