Writing Letter of Recommendation for yourself?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SloppyHandwriting

Writing Letter of Recommendation for yourself?

Postby SloppyHandwriting » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Asked a professor for a LOR and he responded with this:

I'm glad to hear that you did well across the board in your classes. I think it would be a good move for you if you can get in to the [university of awesomeness], and I am happy to recommend you. I would ask that you draft a glowing letter of recommendation for my signature.

How do I draft myself an LOR??

dsb83

Re: Writing Letter of Recommendation for yourself?

Postby dsb83 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Didn't this thread happen a couple weeks ago?

transfer57

Postby transfer57 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Listen, I don't care whether your professor has a sense of humor or not, but YOU HAVE TO DO THIS:

Write two letters. One serious, one not. Write the most ridiculous, over-the-top, arrogant, self-exuberant LOR you could possibly think of and send it to your prof. Include phrases such as "This student is destined to revolutionize the American legal system."

Send the joke first. Wait about 2 or 3 hours then send the real one.

transfer57

Postby transfer57 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm

transfer57 wrote:Listen, I don't care whether your professor has a sense of humor or not, but YOU HAVE TO DO THIS:

Write two letters. One serious, one not. Write the most ridiculous, over-the-top, arrogant, self-exuberant LOR you could possibly think of and send it to your prof. Include phrases such as "This student is destined to revolutionize the American legal system."

Send the joke first. Wait about 2 or 3 hours then send the real one.

For the serious one, don't over-think it. Most prof's probably have a template they use. Just say generic things like "XXXX contributed greatly in class discussion, was always respectful of differing viewpoints, and was a valuable addition to our student body."

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Here's a short thread on the same subject from a couple weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=27&t=210529

I actually remembered you, Sloppy, asking then and thought "What the hell?" Just put yourself in their situation and write what you would write. Be positive, sell yourself, and work in your reasons for transferring. Some call the LOR requirement a formality for transfers, so I wouldn't stress too much. Good luck!

SloppyHandwriting

Postby SloppyHandwriting » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:58 am

dsb83 wrote:Here's a short thread on the same subject from a couple weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=27&t=210529

I actually remembered you, Sloppy, asking then and thought "What the hell?" Just put yourself in their situation and write what you would write. Be positive, sell yourself, and work in your reasons for transferring. Some call the LOR requirement a formality for transfers, so I wouldn't stress too much. Good luck!

This might be one of the more challenging formalities! Thanks for the insight, guys. I am soon going to be "the student that revolutionized the way I (the professor) thought about Constitutional Law."

Tigress

Postby Tigress » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:41 pm

SloppyHandwriting wrote:Asked a professor for a LOR and he responded with this:

I'm glad to hear that you did well across the board in your classes. I think it would be a good move for you if you can get in to the [university of awesomeness], and I am happy to recommend you. I would ask that you draft a glowing letter of recommendation for my signature.

How do I draft myself an LOR??

Is this ethical?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Yes. This comes up a lot. Professors regularly ask students to draft a letter because they're too busy or don't know the student very well. The professor has the opportunity to revise whatever they disagree with or would say differently, and when they sign the letter, they endorse what's in it.

Obviously you don't suggest to a letter-writer that you draft the letter. But if the professor suggests this, it's fine.

Return to “Transfers”