Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rask0lnik0v
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby rask0lnik0v » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Just made an account to let you folks know: withdrawing today, I hope it opens up a spot for some of you!

User avatar
WhiteRabbit
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby WhiteRabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 pm

rask0lnik0v wrote:Just made an account to let you folks know: withdrawing today, I hope it opens up a spot for some of you!



Thanks, and good luck at Columbia!

Skooky
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Skooky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 pm

App was complete between 06/21-06/28, admissions told me no decision had been made as of 07/08. Should I be discouraged? Do they admit in waves?

transferhopes2013
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby transferhopes2013 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Skooky wrote:App was complete between 06/21-06/28, admissions told me no decision had been made as of 07/08. Should I be discouraged? Do they admit in waves?


I was admitted 07/05 with two others. Looks like they do small waves, yes. Admissions officer told me they don't have a predetermined amount of slots, they admit who they think will be competitive at OCI, with a limit obviously. I haven't seen many admits yet. So, if your stats are good then I'm sure you shouldn't be worried.

Mattthebarbarian
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Mattthebarbarian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:38 pm

I got the call yesterday at around 4pm Texas time. $600 deposit due 7.18

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm pretty late to the game. But I was admitted on 7/1 - not sure when my app was complete. Deposit is also due on the 18th.

User avatar
MarcZero
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby MarcZero » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I got the call yesterday at around 4pm Texas time. $600 deposit due 7.18


I'm pretty late to the game. But I was admitted on 7/1 - not sure when my app was complete. Deposit is also due on the 18th.


Stats?

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby K Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Are any of the admits for sure attending? I'm on the fence about whether I should go or stay at my current school, but leaning towards attending.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 pm

MarcZero wrote:
Stats?


Tier 1. Top 10% (probably closer to 5%, but no rankings, so who knows).

Mattthebarbarian
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Mattthebarbarian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm

MarcZero wrote:
I got the call yesterday at around 4pm Texas time. $600 deposit due 7.18


I'm pretty late to the game. But I was admitted on 7/1 - not sure when my app was complete. Deposit is also due on the 18th.


Stats?


Top 15%, school's in the profile, solid softs, graduate degree.

gannoncs
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby gannoncs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 pm

K Rock wrote:Are any of the admits for sure attending? I'm on the fence about whether I should go or stay at my current school, but leaning towards attending.


Same. trying to negotiate $, and losing.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 am

gannoncs wrote:
K Rock wrote:Are any of the admits for sure attending? I'm on the fence about whether I should go or stay at my current school, but leaning towards attending.


Same. trying to negotiate $, and losing.


+1. Was hoping $ would happen, making it easy to stay. Now I seem to flip in my decision every 30 seconds or so.

gannoncs
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby gannoncs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:
gannoncs wrote:
K Rock wrote:Are any of the admits for sure attending? I'm on the fence about whether I should go or stay at my current school, but leaning towards attending.


Same. trying to negotiate $, and losing.


+1. Was hoping $ would happen, making it easy to stay. Now I seem to flip in my decision every 30 seconds or so.


haha same. im thinking in the long run the added debt and "prestige" will probably be worth it. I hate giving up LR for only a chance at secondary journals, so that is a tough call.

Jimbo_Jones
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Ding via snail mail today

Mattthebarbarian
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Mattthebarbarian » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:28 pm

gannoncs wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:
gannoncs wrote:
K Rock wrote:Are any of the admits for sure attending? I'm on the fence about whether I should go or stay at my current school, but leaning towards attending.


Same. trying to negotiate $, and losing.


+1. Was hoping $ would happen, making it easy to stay. Now I seem to flip in my decision every 30 seconds or so.


haha same. im thinking in the long run the added debt and "prestige" will probably be worth it. I hate giving up LR for only a chance at secondary journals, so that is a tough call.

Transfers can do the writing competition for MLR, I think it starts on the 19th.

gannoncs
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby gannoncs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 am

Only 1 transfer in 6 years has wrote onto the MLR, and apparently he went on to be EIC as well.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby echooo23 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 am

Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't heard back are waitlisted or dinged? The silence is deafening.

IamERROR
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby IamERROR » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:26 pm

echooo23 wrote:Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't heard back are waitlisted or dinged? The silence is deafening.


Yeah. They've had my materials for 2 weeks and have yet to order my LSAC report. I wasn't expecting them to jump up and down that my application came in, but now I'm getting a little insulted. I'm basically chalking this one up as a loss even though I have yet to get the ding letter.

Skooky
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Skooky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 pm

How can you tell if they have ordered your report?

Sherwood09
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 am

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Sherwood09 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:01 pm

If anyone needs housing, I have a space available in a room with two other guys. 5-8 minute walk from the law school.

IamERROR
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby IamERROR » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Skooky wrote:How can you tell if they have ordered your report?


You can go to your LSAC account, click on APPLY -> REPORT STATUS

It will show you all of the schools that have requested your report and what report they sent. I spoke with LSAC customer service and they assured me this information is updated in real time.

User avatar
WhiteRabbit
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby WhiteRabbit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

I wonder if the staff member who first received my app forgot to put a TPS report on top of it, causing it to be in admissions purgatory...

Cornhuskers3
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:04 am

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

IamERROR wrote:
echooo23 wrote:Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't heard back are waitlisted or dinged? The silence is deafening.


Yeah. They've had my materials for 2 weeks and have yet to order my LSAC report. I wasn't expecting them to jump up and down that my application came in, but now I'm getting a little insulted. I'm basically chalking this one up as a loss even though I have yet to get the ding letter.


Ya they've had mine for about two weeks also and I've yet to hear anything. Status checker just says complete. Just gimme a rejection and lets call it a day Michigan. I'm tired of waiting to know.

doodledoctor
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby doodledoctor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm

I transferred to UofM last year. If anyone has any questions about the school, housing, etc, PM me with your email and I'll send you an email to answer any questions.

User avatar
MarcZero
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Michigan 2013 Transfer Thread

Postby MarcZero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:
IamERROR wrote:
echooo23 wrote:Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't heard back are waitlisted or dinged? The silence is deafening.


Yeah. They've had my materials for 2 weeks and have yet to order my LSAC report. I wasn't expecting them to jump up and down that my application came in, but now I'm getting a little insulted. I'm basically chalking this one up as a loss even though I have yet to get the ding letter.


Ya they've had mine for about two weeks also and I've yet to hear anything. Status checker just says complete. Just gimme a rejection and lets call it a day Michigan. I'm tired of waiting to know.



I'm holding out hope that I at least made it to the secondary pile of people to call after they get a few withdraws from people with better offers. I know initial seat deposits are due and the law review write-on competitions for transfers start Thursday the 18th. Does anyone know when the early OCI deadline is? I wouldn't mind catching up with the write-on, but I'd hate to miss out on OCI. I'm assuming since the website says they accept applications up until July 21st, they would have some back-up system for late transfer admits.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.