Really need some transfer advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
psach44

Really need some transfer advice

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Guys,

Really need to figure this out and I feel like the people on this forum are extremely informed with the information and can help me conclude properly:

Full disclosure. I am a 1L in Cardozo now. I don't want to hear about "no chance to this school because of Dozo' etc." Just answer the questions.

I await one grade (in a smaller class so the effect on the GPA will be minimal and I expect an A- or an A regardless).

I am currently probably in the top 3 in my class.

I have sent out applications to (in order of least probable acceptance): Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia and NYU.

I know that I will have great opportunities from the OCI at Cardozo. Most Law Review kids have been nailing corporate jobs the past few years and I interview well. (as well as some connections).

In light of all of this, which of those schools are no brainers to transfer to if I am admitted? Why? Also, what happens to my OCI bids?

All info is extremely appreciated.

Ok, go...

psach44

Re: Really need some transfer advice

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Also wanted to add, that currently I am on a full scholarship.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 pm

what are your goals grasshopper? biglaw? bigfuckinfed? clerkderpington?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm

stillwater wrote:what are your goals grasshopper? biglaw? bigfuckinfed? clerkderpington?

Also, I assume you want to practice in NYC? Unless bigfed?

This is going to be tough. But I would transfer because of prestige and more options, but im a snob like that. I've never met anyone in biglaw from Cardozo. I honestly don't know what your chances are at a great job from Cardozo

Still, I'm extremely debt averse.

Can you live at home to save money if you go to Columbia. How much will going to these schools cost? Will you have to borrow it all?

psach44

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm

First, I know about 20 kids from Cardozo who have big law. So that isn't so much an issue.

I am not sure if I would want to do something in government. US Attorneys definitely attracts me to a degree.

I would not live it home...

I would say this "grasshopper" (unsure what the reference is), is somewhere between Big Law and maybe something Government. But then again, a Clerkship would also be something great.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 am

Apply to HYSCCN....I would probably leave if I got one of those.

psach44

Postby psach44 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm

I did all of those except Chicago.

Just not feeling being in that city for 2 years...

Don't know if thats dumb.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 pm

You don't seem especially interested in clerking and AUSA, other than to say it sounds nice and all. Honestly if you just want to work at a NYC corporate firm and make market, you might as well stay at Cardozo. If you're in the top 3 students and a decent interviewer, that shouldn't be a problem.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 pm

NYU and CU are decent chances. Its tough giving up a full ride , especially if you have a good shot at biglaw at yout current school. HYS are reaches but apply just to see.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 am

HYS for the need based aid otherwise I don't understand why you'd transfer. Sounds like you can get an outcome you'd be really happy with from Cardozo with minimal debt.

psach44

Postby psach44 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks all.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

This is really hard. I'm leaning towards staying with no debt. But I know if I were actually in your shoes, I'd probably transfer for dat prestige.

Either way, you'll probably end up with biglaw (if you want it). Congrats on killin' it. Good luck with your decision.

Return to “Transfers”