hys transfer-- undergrad grades matter?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

hys transfer-- undergrad grades matter?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:13 am

Applying to hys-- im inside top 10% at a t14 (no law review). How much will my poor undergrad gpa hurt me (around 3.0; multiple F's)?

kaiser

Re: hys transfer-- undergrad grades matter?

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 am

I didn't apply to Harvard when I sent out transfer apps, but of the schools I did apply to, I think only 1 requested undergrad grades (but I can't understand why). Ironically enough, that was the one school I didn't get into of my transfer apps. Though top 10% at a T14 should probably be enough to get you in (yet I'd seriously consider staying since you will have a ton of options at OCI with those grades, and unless your sole focus is prestigious gov. work or a top tier clerkship, I'd stay put personally, but thats just me).

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:46 am

a fellow transfer at SLS was a major splitter in her first application cycle (think like sub 3.0/180). she got in - i think you have a good chance also.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I transferred into HYS with a UGPA well below their bottom 25% level.

redsoxfaan3

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Harvard's website says this about transfer students:

"Many successful transfer candidates typically place very near the top of their first-year law class and would have also been admitted or wait-listed as first-year students on the basis of their pre-law-school credentials."

I think your performance thus far should speak for itself, but if they have a ton of qualified applicants, I would imagine they would look at your undergrad performance. Besides, it says all that stuff on your LSAC report, which they get as part of the application. You don't need to send them your undergrad grades separately for them to have access to them.

Good luck!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 pm

I've heard - anecdotally- that this is a flame. they dont actually care. i mean maybe if your record was exceptionally horrendous but most people who could have been admitted in the first place would have gone...

BFrankBYangC

Postby BFrankBYangC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:Harvard's website says this about transfer students:

"Many successful transfer candidates typically place very near the top of their first-year law class and would have also been admitted or wait-listed as first-year students on the basis of their pre-law-school credentials."

I think your performance thus far should speak for itself, but if they have a ton of qualified applicants, I would imagine they would look at your undergrad performance. Besides, it says all that stuff on your LSAC report, which they get as part of the application. You don't need to send them your undergrad grades separately for them to have access to them.

Good luck!

I think the use of "many" implies that some successful candidates either did not place very near the top of their first-year law class or would not have been admitted as first-year students on the basis of their pre-law credentials.

I seriously doubt that Harvard accepts any transfers that did not "place very near the top of their first-year class" so it must be the second part that the "many" is modifying. I would never have gotten into Harvard based on my statline (GPA: 3.5 LSAT 170 not URM)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Return to “Transfers”