Using old letters of recommendation and extracurricular data Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using old letters of recommendation and extracurricular data

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Hey all,

1. Is it a good idea to send in old letters of recommendation I had for my original application that I had not previously used? I sent in a recent one from a professor but had a ton from my original application that are in LSAC's database.

2. Is it a good idea to let the school know you've been elected to student association positions for the next year in your LOCI? I'm guessing it might not look good if you're trying to transfer after having been elected to a position.

Anonymous User

Re: Using old letters of recommendation and extracurricular data

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

1. Is it a good idea to send in old letters of recommendation I had for my original application that I had not previously used? I sent in a recent one from a professor but had a ton from my original application that are in LSAC's database.

2. Is it a good idea to let the school know you've been elected to student association positions for the next year in your LOCI? I'm guessing it might not look good if you're trying to transfer after having been elected to a position.
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Any thoughts on whether its a good idea to send in older letters of recommendation from my original cycle? I don't want to bug undergrad professors and my employers for a second time if there is no need. Thanks!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

Bump

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Post by lasersgopewpew » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I'll assume you're asking about transfer apps since you're in the transfer forum. If that's correct, then there's no way you should be using undergrad LORs for transfer. Target schools want to see LORs from law school profs, and most schools are crystal clear in that regard in their instructions (both on LSAC and on their websites).

The one exception to the no undergrad LORs rule may be an employer who wrote the best LOR of all time. Even then, I would not at all recommend using it as a substitute for two (usually) letters from law school profs. I would use it as a third letter, and again...it better be a glowing beacon of praise, and likely from a legal employer.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:25 pm

employers are fine. esp if you have separation btw undergrad and law. i wouldnt use an undergrad prof tho. transferring is largely a number game. just comply w the school's instructions and youll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Post by lasersgopewpew » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:27 pm

stillwater wrote:esp if you have separation btw undergrad and law.
Overlooked this, thanks. TCR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks. I have quite a spread between undergrad and law. I worked in the legal field for 5+ years so I had employers write glowing recommendations for my initial cycle. As a transfer I was wondering if I can still use those since I got like 5-6 to write them but sent in only 3.

As far as law professors are concerned, I got one to write me a good one and the other professor flat out refused since he said he's the dean and it wouldn't look good if he recommended me LOL!

lasersgopewpew wrote:
stillwater wrote:esp if you have separation btw undergrad and law.
Overlooked this, thanks. TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”