Transfer from T20 to HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from T20 to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:26 am

Okay, some advice would be appreciative.

Currently Top 1% (ranked 2nd) at T20 school, but not T14. Looking at HYS, although I am most interested in Stanford for personal reasons plus geography. Undergrad GPA 3.96, grad degree (4.0), several years work experience.

Got waitlisted at Stanford last year. 1 CALI, a few other awards the school offered. I know I graded onto Law Review. Have a SA position this summer in the same city as my school, which is NOT the city I want to end up in. Ideally, I would like Big Law in LA, DC or NY (although not so much NY).

So I have two questions:

(1) What are my chances?

(2) Is it even worth transferring? What will transferring do for me that I'm not getting now? I already have an intro at a V20 law firm in DC, but not a guarantee for next summer. I have a half tuition scholarship at my current school, have formed some good relationships this year with a few faculty. Is it better to be a big fish in a small(er) pond, or a small fish in a big pond (HYS)?

randomstudent

Re: Transfer from T20 to HYS

Postby randomstudent » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, some advice would be appreciative.

Currently Top 1% (ranked 2nd) at T20 school, but not T14. Looking at HYS, although I am most interested in Stanford for personal reasons plus geography. Undergrad GPA 3.96, grad degree (4.0), several years work experience.

Got waitlisted at Stanford last year. 1 CALI, a few other awards the school offered. I know I graded onto Law Review. Have a SA position this summer in the same city as my school, which is NOT the city I want to end up in. Ideally, I would like Big Law in LA, DC or NY (although not so much NY).

So I have two questions:

(1) What are my chances?

(2) Is it even worth transferring? What will transferring do for me that I'm not getting now? I already have an intro at a V20 law firm in DC, but not a guarantee for next summer. I have a half tuition scholarship at my current school, have formed some good relationships this year with a few faculty. Is it better to be a big fish in a small(er) pond, or a small fish in a big pond (HYS)?
(1) It looks like you have great grades and good softs (with your work experience and graduate degree), so my guess is you'll have a really good chance of getting into Y/H/S, especially H/S.

(2) If you already have a 1L summer associate job at a V20 firm, chances are you'll get an offer from that same firm after graduation, whether you stay at your current school or transfer to Y/H/S. Therefore, unless you're aiming for academia, a Supreme Court clerkship, or something along those lines, I don't think there is much that you will be able to accomplish with a degree from Y/H/S that you won't be able to accomplish with a degree from your current school (if you keep up your grades). Bottom line, though, this is a personal decision, and I don't think you can go wrong either way. What do you want to do after graduation? How debt-averse are you? Are you willing to give up your scholarship for the additional prestige of a Y/H/S degree even if it won't ultimately affect your ability to land a V20 job?
Last edited by randomstudent on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

instride91

Postby instride91 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:00 pm

To OP: mind if I ask how you did so well? Did you know you wanted to transfer going in? I'm about to be a 1L at a T20.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:19 am

The deadline to apply to HS was June 16.

Yale's is July 1st.

There's your decision. (I assume you already applied to HS, so you’re here for affirmation)

I recommend you attend whichever accepts you.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 am

CounselorNebby wrote:The deadline to apply to HS was June 16.

Yale's is July 1st.

There's your decision. (I assume you already applied to HS, so you’re here for affirmation)

He posted this on 6/8. It was revived by an 0L who thought the transfer forum is a good place to ask for advice on how to do well, since there aren't any threads on that.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 am

toothbrush wrote:

Yale's is July 1st.

He posted this on 6/8. It was revived by an 0L who thought the transfer forum is a good place to ask for advice on how to do well, since there aren't any threads on that.

Ha. I'm an idiot.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Yale's is July 1st.

tbf, it was revived by a non-0L first before the 0L chimed in :)

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:17 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:tbf, it was revived by a non-0L first before the 0L chimed in :)

man, our peers are bad at the internet.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:10 pm

You should be admitted as a transfer to at least one of H,Y & Stanford. Only reasons to stay would be for your scholarship, law review & a federal judicial clerkship (even though transfers are usually allowed to enter a write-on competition for law review, it is not a sure thing). Ask your current school for additional scholarship funds. Biglaw placement is the primary reason to leave--especially if you want to practice outside of your current law school's geographic region.

instride91

Postby instride91 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Yale's is July 1st.

And I've already read those threads multiple times. Is it really so wrong to ask someone who is 2nd in their class how they did so well? And I didn't revive it...

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:30 pm

instride91 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Yale's is July 1st.

And I've already read those threads multiple times. Is it really so wrong to ask someone who is 2nd in their class how they did so well? And I didn't revive it...

The answer is simple: Don't suck at law school. There's literally gobs of information on TLS about law school success. I used some of the advice, but I figured most out on my own, because no one knows their abilities better than themselves. (If you don't, then you'll likely not do well regardless of advice).

In regard to going in to 1L with an eye for transferring: You have a 10% chance of doing well enough to transfer, and about a 90% chance of not doing well enough to transfer. So tell me, are you feeling lucky, punk?

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:46 pm

instride91 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Yale's is July 1st.

we already addressed that you didn't revive it

and that's not the point...0L's are not allowed to post in the transfer forum

randomstudent

Postby randomstudent » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 pm

1. My bad, guys. I revived this thread thinking it might be useful to the OP in case s/he'd applied to transfer but wasn't sure whether to go if accepted.

2. instride91, I think it's perfectly OK to go to a law school hoping to transfer. Like CounselorNebby said, though, just make sure you're OK with staying at that law school because chances are that's where you'll be stuck for the next 3 years. Most of us didn't even start thinking about transferring until after our first semester.

3. If you want to know what helped me do well in law school, feel free to PM me, but like CounselorNebby said, everyone learns differently, so I'm not sure how helpful my advice will be.
Last edited by randomstudent on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 pm

If he manages to break 1st in his class by 3L year, he has a decent chance at SCOTUS (read the new SCOTUS thread), better chance with EIC of LR. I'd only transfer if I wanna do academia. Op, I hope you put in transfer apps at T14 for a full-ride leverage at current school.

Return to “Transfers”