1L Splitter chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Splitter chances

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 am

Just finished 1L at 40-50.
Overall GPA is 3.47, ranked in top 15% of my class, but my semester GPAs are a little weird.
First semester GPA = 3.2 (top 40%), Second semester GPA = 3.7+ (better than top 5%)
Rec Letters from 2 doctrinal professors and legal writing prof.
Extra softs: book award in legal writing, leadership position in SBA, moot court, master's in science field (w/ 2 publications).
I've got clerking then biglaw in mind, so I'd like to transfer to GTown, Mich, Duke, or maybe UCLA.

Any thoughts? Is it worth it to shoot higher, or am I kidding myself with the schools I have in mind? Does my severe upward grade trend help, raise red flags, or have no effect?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Re: 1L Splitter chances

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Where are you hoping to transfer from and to?

Would it be better to try to ask your current school for a scholarship to keep you? (I have seen people do it and win the argument)

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm

What do you want to do? And where do you want to do it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm

OP here:
thelawdoctor wrote:Where are you hoping to transfer from and to?

Would it be better to try to ask your current school for a scholarship to keep you? (I have seen people do it and win the argument)
To: georgetown, Michigan, duke.

I'd definitely try and use an acceptance to neg for (more) scholarship money, but it seems silly to ask for more money without an offer in hand for leverage.
shock259 wrote:What do you want to do? And where do you want to do it?
Geographically flexible, I'd follow the right job to almost anywhere. I'm interested in policy advocacy (sounds better than 'lobbyist,' right?), with a particular interest in environmental law.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:
thelawdoctor wrote:Where are you hoping to transfer from and to?

To: georgetown, Michigan, duke.

I'd definitely try and use an acceptance to neg for (more) scholarship money, but it seems silly to ask for more money without an offer in hand for leverage.
shock259 wrote:What do you want to do? And where do you want to do it?
Geographically flexible, I'd follow the right job to almost anywhere. I'm interested in policy advocacy (sounds better than 'lobbyist,' right?), with a particular interest in environmental law.
Ok, but just so you know many schools have the info available upon request on what GPA can get what, and many will tell you that they have special programs for those who raised their GPA or reached a certain class standing while enrolled. You may be able to reach that goal without the other offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”