Grades are in- Transfer HELP needed! Chances? Prioritizing?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

If accepted, which of these should I go to?

Only Stanford
No votes
Only Berkeley
5%
Stanford or Harvard
14%
Stanford or Harvard or Berkeley
39%
Shut up, you're not getting into any of these
11%
Stay where you're at... enjoy OCI
32%

Total votes: 44

Anonymous User

Re: Grades are in- Transfer HELP needed! Chances? Prioritizing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you elaborate? I see the flaw in that "Only Harvard" is not an option and should be, but the "broadest" option includes 2 of the top 3, and the #1 IP school. I'm not following.

Cancel that... I see he's a 0L who has no business in a transfer forum. Any other thoughts?

Not a 0L.

People are going to choose the fourth option because it encompasses the first three. People will have the tendency to answer the broadest question because it requires no real mental effort on their part. Anyone who thinks H is the best, but that S/B would be okay too are going to choose this option, while if you made them pick a school they would choose H (which would give you a clearer idea of what school is the best choice). Make sense?

If this were a poll in a research project, you couldn't come to any solid conclusions about people's preference, all you could say is that most people think it's one of those three.

lol *sigh...

Perhaps people choose the broadest option because it includes 3 T10 schools and the TLS pool of knowledge almost impulsively says to transfer T14 whenever possible. If the poll were broken out to only one school per option, you would have everyone saying go H/S, and ultimately have no idea if they also think Berkeley is worth a transfer (albeit less worth it than H/S).

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Well, come back when you find out if/where you've been accepted and make a new poll. That's a bit less confusing than having the options presented as they are now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 pm

So PLIP OCI results came back and I have 18 preselects (+6 alt) including every firm on my top 10 list. Reasons for transferring are starting to dwindle??? Thoughts?

zor

Postby zor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Given your OCI results, it sounds like you're pretty good where you are. The only suggestion I would make is to see out the application process anyway, and use any acceptances to extract more money from your home school. They may tell you they won't negotiate, but if they may lose you at the very last moment you might be surprised that they'll change their minds.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So PLIP OCI results came back and I have 18 preselects (+6 alt) including every firm on my top 10 list. Reasons for transferring are starting to dwindle??? Thoughts?

This is where I say "I told you so."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm

zor wrote:Given your OCI results, it sounds like you're pretty good where you are. The only suggestion I would make is to see out the application process anyway, and use any acceptances to extract more money from your home school. They may tell you they won't negotiate, but if they may lose you at the very last moment you might be surprised that they'll change their minds.

I agree 100%, and definitely plan on waiting out the process to see what options are on the table. I have already started engaging again with multiple offices, and at the end of the day compare costs / outcomes to make the decision.

This is where I say "I told you so."

Lol- sigh... yeah.

Return to “Transfers”