Spring grades are out... now what? Mentors out there?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spring grades are out... now what? Mentors out there?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Tier 1, was 2/~300 after Fall. Grades came back slightly better this semester.

Should be ~#1 depending on how others performed. Final rankings won't be out for weeks.

What now? Should I go ahead and submit transfers? I could really use a mentor in this process!

kaiser

Re: Spring grades are out... now what? Mentors out there?

Postby kaiser » Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Well, do you want to transfer? Don't just do it b/c you can. You should only do it if its something you truly want, and would value. Obviously you will have great options. If you were #1 at a Tier 1 school, nothing is out of the question, whether it be Columbia, NYU, and perhaps even Harvard. And if you actually do want to transfer, you need to submit everything immediately since the timetable is very compressed.

Dr. Will Sandstrom

Postby Dr. Will Sandstrom » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am

Go ahead and apply. See what your options are. You can still stay even if you get in. I transferred from a Tier 1 to HYS. Feel free to PM me.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue May 21, 2013 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Tier 1, was 2/~300 after Fall. Grades came back slightly better this semester.

Should be ~#1 depending on how others performed. Final rankings won't be out for weeks.

What now? Should I go ahead and submit transfers? I could really use a mentor in this process!

Are you in the area you want to practice? If so, I'd stick around and get a good scholarship. However, if you want to go somewhere else you're a shoo in for most of the T14. Get those recs! Even if you don't want to leave I'd apply anyway to get a transfer acceptance to use for more money.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 am

Why do I think this is a humblebrag post.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 am

UndecidedMN wrote:Why do I think this is a humblebrag post.

Because a guy who ends up #1 or #2 in his class playing the low IQ, "I'm just a regular guy," "I guess I'll transfer now" schtick is obnoxious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 am

OP

Not a humble brag. Sorry if it came across that way. As you can imagine, the timeframe is short and I'm feeling a lot of pressure and uncertainty so I was hoping there was guidance out there.

Thank you to the posters offering guidance. Its greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 am

jbiresq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Tier 1, was 2/~300 after Fall. Grades came back slightly better this semester.

Are you in the area you want to practice? If so, I'd stick around and get a good scholarship. However, if you want to go somewhere else you're a shoo in for most of the T14. Get those recs! Even if you don't want to leave I'd apply anyway to get a transfer acceptance to use for more money.

In the region I would like to live/practice but its not where my family is and that may get dicey down the line (2000 mile difference). If the school I'm at now won't give $ (currently paying sticker) is this a no-brainer to leave?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:If the school I'm at now won't give $ (currently paying sticker) is this a no-brainer to leave?

If you're not at a state school where sticker is super cheap... yes.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the school I'm at now won't give $ (currently paying sticker) is this a no-brainer to leave?

TCR for sure.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
keg411 wrote:

TCR for sure.

Depends on how much need aid you get from HYS (if you get in.) If you're looking at CCN, though, it's going to be much cheaper to stick it out, especially if you want to live there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 am

jbiresq wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
keg411 wrote:

TCR for sure.

Depends on how much need aid you get from HYS (if you get in.) If you're looking at CCN, though, it's going to be much cheaper to stick it out, especially if you want to live there.

COA for staying put would be 80 vs 150ish with a transfer. Most concerned about this. Thoughts?

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
COA for staying put would be 80 vs 150ish with a transfer. Most concerned about this. Thoughts?

There's probably a good chance your current school offers you a scholarship if they want you to stay, which would lower your cost there. It's too early to tell and make a decision, but now may be a good time to start researching how those who placed top 1-5% at your school the past few years have done.

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 am

muskies970 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's probably a good chance your current school offers you a scholarship if they want you to stay, which would lower your cost there. It's too early to tell and make a decision, but now may be a good time to start researching how those who placed top 1-5% at your school the past few years have done.

Not really true... most schools don't play ball with transfers. Some do, but don't expect this.

OP, you're probably good either way. You should at least send out apps to T6 (probably a waste of time to dip lower than that).

If you're worried about asking for LORs, just tell the teachers you have dreams of academia. They eat that ish up.

Return to “Transfers”