So Cal TTTT -> USC, UCLA?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Stay at TTTT in San Diego ($80k)?
18%
Transfer to UCLA/USC ($240k)?
82%

Total votes: 22

Anonymous User

So Cal TTTT -> USC, UCLA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I just got my second semester grades in. I am at a so-cal TTTT (California Western) with a full ride. I ended up with a 3.8 (median is around 2.6). Top 5% (ranked 9 out of 240). Is there any shot at USC, UCLA, or UCI? And would paying sticker at UCI be worth it? I have strong ties to Southern California (Both LA and San Diego). Are there any other schools I should look at throwing apps at?

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Re: So Cal TTTT -> USC, UCLA, UCI?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got my second semester grades in. I am at a so-cal TTTT (California Western) with a full ride. I ended up with a 3.8 (median is around 2.6). Top 5% (ranked 9 out of 240). Is there any shot at USC, UCLA, or UCI? And would paying sticker at UCI be worth it? I have strong ties to Southern California (Both LA and San Diego). Are there any other schools I should look at throwing apps at?

Thanks for any advice.

Congratulations. Did you grade onto LR? If so, I'm tempted to think your best bet may be staying, and graduating debt free with LR. UCI would definitely not be worth it.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Transfer. No one at OCI if your school has one will care about a high rank. You should get into USC, UCLA or maybe another CA school. I would blanket the top 20. LR does not matter as much as school rank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 am

jarofsoup wrote:Transfer. No one at OCI if your school has one will care about a high rank. You should get into USC, UCLA or maybe another CA school. I would blanket the top 20. LR does not matter as much as school rank.

Thanks, I will grade onto LR, but I agree that it may not outweigh school rank. My school does have OCI, but it is really limited as far as big law firms go. I think only one or two come to our school and I don't think they hire very many.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 pm

So, I got in at UCLA/USC... not 100% sure if I should go or not. My scholarship at my school got bumped up, and so I can finish at my school with 80-90K in loans. Going to USC/UCLA will result in 230-240K in loans (My 1st year scholarship has to be paid back if I transfer... stupid, I know). I will have law review and a federal judicial externship in the spring if I stay.

I am not 100% sure I want big law, or if coming from a small school will hurt me at OCI at the new school anyways. Is taking on $170k in debt worth the jump if I am not sure I want big law?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:59 pm

also... I want to stay in San Diego. I know UCLA/USC places well in San Diego... but my TTTT does place here ok.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:12 pm

I say transfer. The name of your school will forever be on your resume. I don't see why you would not be able to get a full scholly from your current school (is the 80-90k just living expenses?). I'm in a somewhat similar situation albeit I am still waiting from responses from UT and WUSTl because I am late on the apps. I finished 11/200 at Loyola New Orleans with little debt but if I get into either school I think I am going. I just think it is a constant uphill battle coming from a TTT or TTTT. Also, you really cannot afford to slip at all in the rankings if you stay. You have already proven you can do very well at your school but there is a random element to law school grading.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks, Ya the 80-90 is partial tuition from the 1st year plus living expenses, I won't be paying tuition the last two years if I stay. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm

I added a poll, any advice would be appreciated.

Great Satchmo

Re: Poll: So Cal TTTT -> USC, UCLA?

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

I feel weird about suggesting this, but I'd stay at Cal Western.

If debt at UCLA/USC would be less, it would be otherwise, but that much debt for UCLA/USC seems a bit too much. If you absolutely have to try to get biglaw, and are willing to wager a quarter million dollars of non-dischargeable loans, then transfer.

Otherwise, stick with the full scholarship, see if you can leverage a book stipend/living stipend/something out of the school with the UCLA acceptance, and just network and build your resume as much as possible so that you come out of the school as the standout in the class. Be special, have basically no debt, and you are probably in a better position than the UCLA grad without stellar grades who struck out at OCI, then carrying $250,000 in debt.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 pm

How will your debt possibly be $200k+? Two years at ~$50k for tuition etc. plus max another $50k for housing/misc. looks like $150k to me...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm

pbfoot wrote:How will your debt possibly be $200k+? Two years at ~$50k for tuition etc. plus max another $50k for housing/misc. looks like $150k to me...

It would be 150k for the two years at USC, but I also have to pay back my first year scholly if I transfer (scholarship stipulation). I wasn't planning on transferring when I accepted the scholarship. So I would have around $85-90k before even starting at USC.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 pm

If you want to stay in SD why not go for USD? You could possibly get scholly money there right? What do you want to do? I've seen Cal West grads at some firms in SD and if you have ties I don't think it would be that hard to find a job as a Cal West grad. You're mostly competing with USD, TJ, UCI and possibly UCLA/USC/Pepperdine/Chapman etc. But I also think USC or UCLA is a safe bet. I would say transfer if you didn't have to pay back the first year...that's such BS. I feel like you kind of have to stay to avoid paying the initial year's tuition, since I'm debt averse.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 pm

USC and UCLA already accepted their transfers... But I guess we can keep chatting about it? lol.

Return to “Transfers”