How did you approach transfer apps??

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How did you approach transfer apps??

Postby jmls1987 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 pm

I was wondering if transfers could share how they approached their transfer applications. Did you choose to apply to a couple of near "lock" schools and a dream school first and wait to hear back? Or did you apply to several schools at once? I am working on getting all my paperwork together for the transfer process, and realized that the fees add up quickly! Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel that I have to apply to several schools because I attend a T4 and will probably get dinged at some schools. Currently, I have a 3.8/4.0 on a 3.0 curve.

Re: How did you approach transfer apps??

Postby shock259 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Coming from a T4, it'll be harder for you to predict where you'll get in. You will probably want to cast a wider net. What class rank % is that?

I came from a T1, and I basically followed Arrow's advice in the stickied thread regarding schools. I blanketed the T14. Got into a few, got rejected at a few (with no correlation between rank - UVA and Duke rejected, but Columbia accepted). Generally, think of it like the regular admission process, but slightly less predictable.

Also, some schools are far more transfer-friendly than others. Some will probably just be wasted applications (like my UVA app for a non-VA resident).

Good luck

Return to “Transfers”