Transferring - any point in doing the write on at my school?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring - any point in doing the write on at my school?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm transferring next year without a doubt. It's just a question of where - I'm already in at GULC and will be applying to other T14s. Any point in doing the write on at my school?

Danger Zone

Re: Transferring - any point in doing the write on at my school?

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Without a doubt? As in even if you made LR and the school offered a full tuition scholarship, you would leave?

Regardless, you can put that you wrote on to LR on your resume even if you end up transferring. Don't be lazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 pm

My school doesn't negotiate, and the jump is enough that even losing LR it's still worth it to transfer. But you're right - I could at least put it on resume. I'm just trying to save myself the trouble of having to do multiple write ons - my school, GULC, other schools I'm applying to that make transfers do write on before being accepted. It's a real pain to think about it. But you're right.

Follow up question, then: should I try out for the secondary journals at my school? Some have separate write ons.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 pm

I know I just said don't be lazy, but that sounds like too much work. I'd skip the secondary at your current school if it's a separate competition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 7:13 pm

License to be semi-lazy. Thanks.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Oh, disclaimer: I'm a 1L applying to transfer myself. I just know that I questioned whether I should be doing the writing competition at all recently and decided that I should for this exact reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

1L or not, still good advice. Very much appreciated. Good luck with your transfer cycle :)

Postby 005618502 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Oh, disclaimer: I'm a 1L applying to transfer myself. I just know that I questioned whether I should be doing the writing competition at all recently and decided that I should for this exact reason.

What school range are you at? For some reason I thought you were T14

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Nah I'm not. Check your PMs.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 12, 2013 8:06 pm

OP: yes, do it.

i got onto law review and still transferred. listed on resume that i wrote-on and it sometimes came up in interviews, often in the context of "judging from your writing sample, lwr grade, and the fact your wrote onto law review we know you're a strong writer..." one of the interviewers even joked i was doing it right: getting onto law review and transferring so i didn't actually have to be on the journal but still being able to say you made it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Lasers wrote:OP: yes, do it.

i got onto law review and still transferred. listed on resume that i wrote-on and it sometimes came up in interviews, often in the context of "judging from your writing sample, lwr grade, and the fact your wrote onto law review we know you're a strong writer..." one of the interviewers even joked i was doing it right: getting onto law review and transferring so i didn't actually have to be on the journal but still being able to say you made it.

Good to know. Just the kick in the ass I need. Thanks!

Itinerant

Postby Itinerant » Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 pm

its usefulness probably ends at the interview stage -- it'd be funny to see this journal credential on a firm bio. but really, getting the job in the first place is almost everything anyway

yeah, just do it

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm a 2L (rising 3L) who transferred last year. I'd definitely do the competition. You can still put it on your resume "Invited to X Law Review." Also, I was asked in interviews whether I had done the writing competition and what I wrote about. I'm glad I didn't have to say "Oh, I didn't do it because I knew I was transferring."

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:27 pm

I wrote on and then xfered. It got brought up in almost all of my OCI interviews. I have no idea how much it helped, but the fact that people mentioned it was a sign that it had at least some value. I would recommend doing it if at all possible. It sucks, but such is life.

I agree that it won't matter at all after OCI.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 am

Itinerant wrote:

its usefulness probably ends at the interview stage -- it'd be funny to see this journal credential on a firm bio. but really, getting the job in the first place is almost everything anyway

yeah, just do it

not probably, it most definitely does. writing on means nothing after interviews.

even then, that in no way changes the calculus here. getting your first legal job is everything until you get it.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu May 16, 2013 12:28 am

Ditto everyone else. Just do it. Then even if you don't have LR at your new school, you have *a* LR.

Return to “Transfers”