PT -> FT transfer (with a twist) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PT -> FT transfer (with a twist)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm currently a second-year evening student (that's the twist...sorry if it's lame but I couldn't find any thread on topic). Grade cutoffs from last year put me in the top 10% with definite improvement so far this year, so I feel confident going into OCI this fall. Also have law review at my current school, and I'm pretty sure I can get 2 solid recommendations. My day job lets me pay my living expenses in full, but I am taking out full loans for tuition - will have 140-50k in debt from current school.

The transfer question: worth it to try applying to a T10 school? Only ones I'm really interested in are Columbia, Virginia, NYU, or Harvard. Will probably apply to Yale for the lulz.

Upside: obvious. Better school. Better clerkship and job opportunities (particularly interested in fed. government work, but my school has no LRAP for gov't work).

Downside: 2 full-time years instead of part-time years, lose some credits, massive increase in loans due to living expenses.

Thoughts? Would you do it?

Wholigan

Silver

Re: PT -> FT transfer (with a twist)

Post by Wholigan » Tue May 07, 2013 3:41 pm

What is your current school? How does the top 10% usually do for jobs?

If you already have $70-75k and are going to take on two more years at sticker + living expense at a T14, that will put you in about $225k deep by the time you graduate. That's a lot, even with LRAP. You might not be much better off than just using IBR from your current school.

Either way, $140-$150k is a lot of debt to take on at your current school. It might be smart to get accepted somewhere and try to negotiate.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Does your current school offer scholarships to keep people from transferring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

OP here: Current school is a Tier 1, and Top 10%+LR is pretty solid on jobs, at least for big law - I actually don't know how people seeking gov't/PI do, but at my current level of debt, my eye is on big law with a focus to lateral to government work.

I don't know if we offer scholarships to keep people from transferring but I'd certainly be open to that. I suppose it'd be worth the app fees for the bargaining chip.

rogermurdoch

New

Post by rogermurdoch » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

I'm also a 2nd year part-time student in pretty much the same situation as you. You mentioned the possibility of losing credits. How many credits do you have? Some T14 schools have a limit on the number of credits that a transfer applicant can have. For some this is a limit on how many they will give credit for, but for others they will not even look at your application if you are over their limit. Have you talked to the admissions offices at any of these schools? I was told by UVA that they would not consider anyone over their limit. Columbia said it was fine. I have not called anywhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 pm

rogermurdoch wrote:I'm also a 2nd year part-time student in pretty much the same situation as you. You mentioned the possibility of losing credits. How many credits do you have? Some T14 schools have a limit on the number of credits that a transfer applicant can have. For some this is a limit on how many they will give credit for, but for others they will not even look at your application if you are over their limit. Have you talked to the admissions offices at any of these schools? I was told by UVA that they would not consider anyone over their limit. Columbia said it was fine. I have not called anywhere else.
I'm the OP: Columbia and Harvard said no problem. NYU basically said not to bother.

I contacted Yale and UVA, too, but didn't hear back. I guess I know the answer to UVA now, though.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Michigan takes transfers in the second year of PT programs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

OP here with an updated question: final grades all in for the Spring. I have a 3.65-3.7 cum. GPA. Last year, top 10% was 3.59, and I assume it will be about the same this year. So that might put me what around 5-7%? Also - have Law Review and I hope solid recommendations. Thoughts on apps to the following and chances?

Yale
Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
Michigan
Virginia

Not interested in other T14s for a variety of reasons, but if I don't apply to Yale, I'll probably throw in Penn or Cornell to at least try to get an acceptance somewhere. While I might attend those schools, I'd also be willing to negotiate with my current school (if they do indeed negotiate) if accepted.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fujin11

New

Post by Fujin11 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Based on the top 10% GPA number you gave and the fact that you're in a part-time program it seems like you go to Fordham. If that's true, they probably won't give you more money (I've heard the top 15 people get an additional 5k). Conversely, I've heard top 10%+LR is set for biglaw so you really only "need" to transfer for one of three reasons: You want to relax and not try as hard anymore, you have academic ambitions or you really want to clerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 am

Assuming you are Fordham, your set for V5 and have a shot for a 2nd Circuit clerkship so why bother transferring? Fordham part-time performs really well at OCI/mass mailing, with people down to median getting V30-50 jobs. You might as well keep making money at this point. With those grades I can be pretty sure you have the top GPA in the evening program or maybe second. Most full-time working evening students are around the 33% mark, and still do well at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Regardless of my school and its potential outcomes, I really do appreciate what Fujin and Kryptix are saying. I'm not fighting anything you're saying. I'm sure that if I want to, I can have BigLaw &/or a clerkship from my current school. I'd be more than happy to stay and have been happy with it the whole time.

For purposes of this thread, I'm now interested in my chances of applying elsewhere. I have my reasons for pursuing a transfer and am interested in where I can best leverage my chances of acceptance. I appreciate any more thoughts!

Fujin11

New

Post by Fujin11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 am

Since you were so polite I guess I'll answer the question you actually asked (although my initial point was "worth" is a rather vague term, if you can get the outcome you want where you're at now is a factor in that analysis)

Given the numbers you gave and the general belief put forth on this board that schools like to poach top performers from other schools in their market (again I'm assuming fordham) I'd say you have a solid shot at getting at least one of NYU or Columbia. Probably not so much at UVA because they're a state school and have a weird in-state quota (I've heard people say they rarely take transfers who aren't from virginia). Harvard is really a black hole because I'd say you're right on the borderline. I'd call it maybe 50-50 and throw an app their way anyway. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”