Letter of Recommendation

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nucky thompson

Letter of Recommendation

Postby nucky thompson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

When would be a good time to ask a spring semester professor for a letter of recommendation? I wont get a grade back for the class until June in all likelihood. Do I wait for a grade or do I just ask, and if so, please advise how to approach it.

shock259

Re: Letter of Recommendation

Postby shock259 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

Sooner the better. Do you have anyone from 1st semester you could ask?

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 pm

shock259 wrote:Sooner the better. Do you have anyone from 1st semester you could ask?

Yessir, already have that one locked down - is one law professor recommendation sufficient?

Itinerant

Postby Itinerant » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
shock259 wrote:Sooner the better. Do you have anyone from 1st semester you could ask?

Yessir, already have that one locked down - is one law professor recommendation sufficient?

I only used one (and she taught Legal Writing).

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Both of mine are from profs, and I think generally (at least the schools I'm considering) they want two law school professors. Most schools will allow you to send additional letters from employers, supervisors, extern judges, etc., but from what I've seen they "strongly recommend" letters from law school profs.

ETA: I asked my professors a couple weeks ago, and I'm delivering the LSAC form, along with an addressed envelope, resume, and transcript tomorrow. I'm requesting they have it mailed w/in 30 days.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 pm

I asked one professor before grades came out. I was fairly certain I had done well in the class, the prof knew me from office hours, and I was pretty sure one low grade would sink my app anyways, so I just went for it.

EMH99

Postby EMH99 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am

Would it be bad to wait until after grades come out to ask professors for recommendations? I'm worried about burning bridges (or looking stupid if grades come out the other way).

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 am

One of my professors that I asked wants to wait until spring grades come out. The prof promised that the LOR could be written quickly. Should I be okay with this? Really worried about the deadlines.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 am

At least Berkeley and Stanford take lors after deadline so long as the correct prof name is on your app. I called ahead to verify so you could do that with any others you are considering. I submitted at the deadline for both (one day early?) with no lors attached (profs emailed them directly to admissions, again I called to get the addy.) and was admitted. Get it in on time but don't make yourself sick about the deadline.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 am

Danger Zone wrote:One of my professors that I asked wants to wait until spring grades come out. The prof promised that the LOR could be written quickly. Should I be okay with this? Really worried about the deadlines.

That's fine. I didn't ask any of my writers until after grades came out. And like a week after at that. Most of the deadlines are pretty late. It's courteous to give your writer a few weeks, but in all honesty, they should be able to crank one out faster (particularly if they actually like you). Besides, LORs seem to have an extremely small impact on your application.

Last year Georgetown's was really early, but beyond that, you'll be fine.

Return to “Transfers”