NYU Waiting Thread 2013

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2013Transfer

Re: NYU Waiting Thread 2013

Postby 2013Transfer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

richaoj wrote:Is there a FB group for transfer admits or something? I need to find housing ASAP.

If you're up for it, I would suggest applying for on campus housing. I was on the "wait list" for one day and got the exact unit I wanted. Don't know if this applies to you, but the lady in the office making assignments said they are especially low on females on the wait list.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm

2013Transfer wrote:
richaoj wrote:Is there a FB group for transfer admits or something? I need to find housing ASAP.

If you're up for it, I would suggest applying for on campus housing. I was on the "wait list" for one day and got the exact unit I wanted. Don't know if this applies to you, but the lady in the office making assignments said they are especially low on females on the wait list.

The housing thing is the only thing keeping me from depositing right away. I really want to live on campus, but I'm not stoked on the wait list situation.

jlb24

Postby jlb24 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
2013Transfer wrote:

The housing thing is the only thing keeping me from depositing right away. I really want to live on campus, but I'm not stoked on the wait list situation.

Just out of curiosity, how long did they give you to put down a deposit?

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

jlb24 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long did they give you to put down a deposit?

Accepted 7/25, I have until 8/5, EIW bidding for transfers begins 8/5, ends 8/7.

richaoj

Postby richaoj » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:12 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
jlb24 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long did they give you to put down a deposit?

Accepted 7/25, I have until 8/5, EIW bidding for transfers begins 8/5, ends 8/7.

FYI, according to the materials I was sent, deposit has to be in by 8/2 to participate in EIW. I don't know if this is true, but that's what it says in the Transfer Student Handbook. Just something to consider.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 pm

richaoj wrote:
lasersgopewpew wrote:

FYI, according to the materials I was sent, deposit has to be in by 8/2 to participate in EIW. I don't know if this is true, but that's what it says in the Transfer Student Handbook. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the heads up! Just double-checked my letter and I can confirm - at least for me - 8/5 for EIW.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:38 pm

If anyone is looking for a roommate in the Greenwich area please PM me. I'm on the west coast and unfortunately can't participate in the hunt or lease-signing, but I can commit to a room for this year if the price is reasonable. Thanks, all.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 am

AND the waiting saga continues.

ism3232

Postby ism3232 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 am

LouisXIV wrote:AND the waiting saga continues.

There aren't many of us left. Hanging in there.

InSport

Postby InSport » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am

To people looking for housing - NYU Law has a big email listserv, where students and recent grads post available sublets and/or roomshares. If you're interested, I'm willing to post something to the listserv on your behalf. I'll post what you're looking for (e.g., price, location, etc...), and if another student/recent grad has a room, I can have them get in touch with you directly.

As some of you may know, finding an apartment in New York City can be very difficult. Most landlords are unwilling to rent to students, unless they have a co-signer/guarantor that makes a lot of money (think $250k/year or more). So, one of the easiest ways to find a place (besides getting NYU Law housing) is to sublet a room from someone who has already been approved by the landlord.

If interested, PM me. I'll try to see what's out there for you.

And in case you missed my previous post, I'm a rising 3L who transferred to NYU last year.

lawboat

Postby lawboat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:45 pm

ism3232 wrote:
LouisXIV wrote:AND the waiting saga continues.

There aren't many of us left. Hanging in there.

Left in this forum or left in the pool as a whole? I hope it's in the pool as a whole!

dtownlove

Postby dtownlove » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 pm

InSport wrote:To people looking for housing - NYU Law has a big email listserv, where students and recent grads post available sublets and/or roomshares. If you're interested, I'm willing to post something to the listserv on your behalf. I'll post what you're looking for (e.g., price, location, etc...), and if another student/recent grad has a room, I can have them get in touch with you directly.

As some of you may know, finding an apartment in New York City can be very difficult. Most landlords are unwilling to rent to students, unless they have a co-signer/guarantor that makes a lot of money (think $250k/year or more). So, one of the easiest ways to find a place (besides getting NYU Law housing) is to sublet a room from someone who has already been approved by the landlord.

If interested, PM me. I'll try to see what's out there for you.

And in case you missed my previous post, I'm a rising 3L who transferred to NYU last year.

Incoming transfer. If it's helpful at all, I know someone living in a nice apartment in Williamsburg who is looking for a new roommate as well. PM if you'd like her info!

jlb24

Postby jlb24 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am

Anyone hear anything yesterday? I heard some people were admitted toward the end of the day.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 am

jlb24 wrote:Anyone hear anything yesterday? I heard some people were admitted toward the end of the day.
Nothing. Not even a UR status update. I'll summon the fat lady to take her mark stage side because I suspect she'll be singing soon if you right about yesterday's admissions.

jlb24

Postby jlb24 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am

LouisXIV wrote:
jlb24 wrote:Anyone hear anything yesterday? I heard some people were admitted toward the end of the day.
Nothing. Not even a UR status update. I'll summon the fat lady to take her mark stage side because I suspect she'll be singing soon if you right about yesterday's admissions.

Agreed...as much as I don't want to get rejected, I am ready for the band-aid to get ripped off. Every time I see that my status has not moved it's like I am watching a deadly car accident over and over again.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am

jlb24 wrote:Agreed...as much as I don't want to get rejected, I am ready for the band-aid to get ripped off. Every time I see that my status has not moved it's like I am watching a deadly car accident over and over again.
That sounds like an accurate description of how I feel. There were some eleventh hr admits last year, but doubt that will happen again.

jazzhou

Postby jazzhou » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:43 am

I was admitted via phone call yesterday afternoon. Deposit deadline on Monday. Think I'm leaning NU and still holding out hope for UChi, will probably withdraw soon. Good luck everyone.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:49 am

jazzhou wrote:I was admitted via phone call yesterday afternoon. Deposit deadline on Monday. Think I'm leaning NU and still holding out hope for UChi, will probably withdraw soon. Good luck everyone.
Thank you Jazzhou. Sort of a moot question: but did the follow the typical timeline UR update, letter sent, and then phone call? I really would like to stop compulsively hitting F5 on my keyboard.

Oleef

Postby Oleef » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:18 pm

So im guessing its a bad sign that I havent had a UR update since 7/19? I just sent them an e-mail about an additional LOR I am submitting from my summer internship, not sure why I am even bothering though.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Oleef wrote:So im guessing its a bad sign that I havent had a UR update since 7/19? I just sent them an e-mail about an additional LOR I am submitting from my summer internship, not sure why I am even bothering though.
My UR is the same date. I would still send it. Can't hurt.

jlb24

Postby jlb24 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm

So if the deposit deadline is the 5th and the cut-off to participate in OCI is the 5th, then it seems pretty clear that IF they are going to admit more people, they probably won't be able to participate in OCI...

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 pm

jlb24 wrote:So if the deposit deadline is the 5th and the cut-off to participate in OCI is the 5th, then it seems pretty clear that IF they are going to admit more people, they probably won't be able to participate in OCI...
I would go either way for personal reasons. However, I would suspect that they are a handful of people who have made up their mind to go elsewhere and will probably withdraw by then. That said, I would guess that folks will have to be admitted this Friday for OCI participation. It is my understanding bidding starts on the 5 and ends on the 7th. In theory, you could be admitted on 5th and still participate, but doubtful that would happen.

lawboat

Postby lawboat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 pm

LouisXIV wrote:
jlb24 wrote:Agreed...as much as I don't want to get rejected, I am ready for the band-aid to get ripped off. Every time I see that my status has not moved it's like I am watching a deadly car accident over and over again.
That sounds like an accurate description of how I feel. There were some eleventh hr admits last year, but doubt that will happen again.

As I wait to hear from them, I feel like a pig waiting to be slaughtered.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm

lawboat wrote:
LouisXIV wrote:

I hear that. I sort of made a timeline for the pending decision. Today the fat lady takes the stage side. Tomorrow she warms up. Friday, unfortunately, she takes center stage and sings.

psach44

Postby psach44 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm

LouisXIV wrote:
lawboat wrote:
LouisXIV wrote:

I hear that. I sort of made a timeline for the pending decision. Today the fat lady takes the stage side. Tomorrow she warms up. Friday, unfortunately, she takes center stage and sings.

FYI- I had a meeting today with OCS. My counselor told me that thus far there are 25 NYU transfers. That means 25 accepted the offer. She did say that the target pool is larger than that though. So there are still some admits out there.

But it is true that bidding ends the 7th. I feel that NYU has been pretty fair and respectful to people's deadlines so I'd be shocked if they weren't done by the 3rd or so in order to give people ample time to get their bearings and settle down before the whirlwind of what is EIW begins. [Unlike some schools READ: PETER!!!! YES YOU!!!! CLS!!!!]

Return to “Transfers”