NYU Waiting Thread 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Re: NYU Waiting Thread 2013

Post by lasersgopewpew » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:24 pm

2013Transfer wrote:
zor wrote:Update: so I just got an email from NYU School of Law Housing about registering for housing, that begins with "Congratulations on your acceptance"!

So I guess I'm in! But still no formal email saying so, and no tuition box on the status checker. So... weird, but YAAAY!
Same! Congratulations!
Congrats, all!

ETA: let us know the deposit amount and timeframes, yeah?

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Did any of you admits write LOCI after your application was already in?

2013Transfer

New

Post by 2013Transfer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
2013Transfer wrote:
zor wrote:Update: so I just got an email from NYU School of Law Housing about registering for housing, that begins with "Congratulations on your acceptance"!

So I guess I'm in! But still no formal email saying so, and no tuition box on the status checker. So... weird, but YAAAY!
Same! Congratulations!
Congrats, all!

ETA: let us know the deposit amount and timeframes, yeah?
App being processed 6/13
Under review 6/21, 6/24, 6/25
Decision letter sent 6/27

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Post by lasersgopewpew » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 pm

2013Transfer wrote: App being processed 6/13
I meant the dollar amount they require for their seat deposit, and how long you have to pay it. My apologies for the confusion.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 pm

psach44 wrote:Did any of you admits write LOCI after your application was already in?
No. I went complete only a week ago.

Laserspewpew, I will definitely let you know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 pm

congrats to those who got in today!

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2

New

Post by WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Yes, congrats! You must be so relieved. That's awesome.

I have the weirdest thing: NYU still has not sent me any status checker login information. I emailed them, and they confirmed receipt of my materials, but I have no status checker.

I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse to have no clue what's going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am

Acceptances already? :shock: I better get my app in.

Congrats all!

2013Transfer

New

Post by 2013Transfer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 am

lasersgopewpew wrote:
I meant the dollar amount they require for their seat deposit, and how long you have to pay it. My apologies for the confusion.
Oh sorry! Misread your question. $600 deposit, 10 day decision window.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

2013Transfer wrote:
lasersgopewpew wrote:
Oh sorry! Misread your question. $600 deposit, 10 day decision window.
Where did you get this information? Did you get your package already? Or did they email you? I only got the weird housing email.

2013Transfer

New

Post by 2013Transfer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 pm

psach44 wrote:Did any of you admits write LOCI after your application was already in?
No I didn't.

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:38 am

Congrats to everyone who has already gotten in! Transferring to NYU has definitely been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I can confidently say I've met some of my best friends from among the transfer class.

And if you haven't been accepted yet, good luck! Hope you hear good news soon.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Congrats to everyone who has already gotten in! Transferring to NYU has definitely been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I can confidently say I've met some of my best friends from among the transfer class.

I second this. One of the best decisions I ever made was transferring to NYU. The school is as transfer-friendly as can be, the job opportunities are excellent, and the school itself is among the best. I was very much on the fence about transferring, and it was tough to leave my friends, the groove I was in at my old school, etc. but it all works out really well for NYU transfers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Application still under review 6/26. Hopefully I'll get an answer this coming week. They still haven't received my college questionnaire though.

2013Transfer

New

Post by 2013Transfer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:08 pm

kaiser wrote:
InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Congrats to everyone who has already gotten in! Transferring to NYU has definitely been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I can confidently say I've met some of my best friends from among the transfer class.

I second this. One of the best decisions I ever made was transferring to NYU. The school is as transfer-friendly as can be, the job opportunities are excellent, and the school itself is among the best. I was very much on the fence about transferring, and it was tough to leave my friends, the groove I was in at my old school, etc. but it all works out really well for NYU transfers.
Thank you both for all the words of encouragement! I'm most likely going to be at NYU in the fall, and I am so excited! I have plans to go to the city in 2 weeks to look for housing. Do either of you have any suggestions as to locations with a reasonable price? NYU housing seems a little overpriced, but I am completely new to NYC and kind of clueless!

I'm also looking for roommates, so if any of you need roommates, or know of people who do, PM me!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 pm

2013Transfer wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Thank you both for all the words of encouragement! I'm most likely going to be at NYU in the fall, and I am so excited! I have plans to go to the city in 2 weeks to look for housing. Do either of you have any suggestions as to locations with a reasonable price? NYU housing seems a little overpriced, but I am completely new to NYC and kind of clueless!

I'm also looking for roommates, so if any of you need roommates, or know of people who do, PM me!
I lived in Jersey City, and I think its a perfect place for NYU students. If you live by Exchange place or Grove St., its literally 30 min total commute time door to door. The Path runs 24 hours, is very clean, runs often, etc. I rent a room in a house with a few other people, and only spend $800 per month, so it really helped me avoid much of the costs associated with NYC COL. The downtown JC area has a mall with movie theatre, large grocery store, lots of fun bars and restaurants, etc. Plus you get a nice balance since its quiet and you get more space, yet still get the excitement and craziness of NYC every day when you head in. If I were working at a firm that was accessible to JC, I wouldn't hesitate to continue living here.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 am

kaiser wrote:
2013Transfer wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I lived in Jersey City, and I think its a perfect place for NYU students. If you live by Exchange place or Grove St., its literally 30 min total commute time door to door. The Path runs 24 hours, is very clean, runs often, etc. I rent a room in a house with a few other people, and only spend $800 per month, so it really helped me avoid much of the costs associated with NYC COL. The downtown JC area has a mall with movie theatre, large grocery store, lots of fun bars and restaurants, etc. Plus you get a nice balance since its quiet and you get more space, yet still get the excitement and craziness of NYC every day when you head in. If I were working at a firm that was accessible to JC, I wouldn't hesitate to continue living here.
I will also probably be attending in the fall! Super excited and scared...

As a New Yorker for 11 years, I can offer you some housing advice. Jersey City would be a great choice. I lived there for a year (in the heights--do NOT live there) but if you can find an apt by Exchange Place, Hoboken, Newport, or Grove St (this one is the cheapest option and quite nice), I would go for it. The PATH is clean and fairly reliable, and you can always take the ferry if you want a nice view. My only hesitation is that a lot of NYers are allergic to the PATH for some reason, so it might be harder to get folks to come over, but that's fairly minor.

I live in Harlem and have lived here for about seven years now. Depending on where you are it's very safe, and very reasonably priced. I haven't moved because my landlord has never raised my rent (I will clearly be dying in this apartment). The commute to NYU will be about 30-45 minutes, but since my former commute was over an hour that's fine with me. I like it better than Washington Heights (about the same price, but MUCH quieter--you will never want to hear reggaeton again). If I could do it all over again, I would also consider some of the cheaper parts of Brooklyn, like Prospect Heights, which have gotten SO much swankier in the last few years (I wouldn't have lived there 10 years ago).

PM me if you want any further housing advice, and eeeek I may just see you in a few weeks!

To those still waiting: good luck!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 am

I just realized that I sent a 2 page double space personal statement and the instructions call for one page. I was going to just send a single spaced version. Anyone think it will matter or not?

Latenite987

New

Post by Latenite987 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:28 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:I just realized that I sent a 2 page double space personal statement and the instructions call for one page. I was going to just send a single spaced version. Anyone think it will matter or not?
FYI, I sent a 2 page, double spaced PS, and I was accepted last week. So, it obviously doesn't matter.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:20 pm

status checker gone wild. them quick updates

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:26 pm

stillwater wrote:status checker gone wild. them quick updates

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lasersgopewpew

Bronze

Post by lasersgopewpew » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 pm

I went UR 6/25, then update 6/26, but nothing since. NYU, Y U NO make decision?!?!

EDIT: Why can't I use certain BBCodes: [img]?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
I went UR 6/25, then update 6/26, but nothing since. NYU, Y U NO make decision?!?!

EDIT: Why can't I use certain BBCodes: [img]?
100 posts required.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm

What the hell does "Application Processed" mean?

I was "Under Review" and changed to that today...?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 pm

psach44 wrote:What the hell does "Application Processed" mean?

I was "Under Review" and changed to that today...?
when did you go UR? how many updates? provide the info and we will help read the tea leaves

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”