Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ism3232
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby ism3232 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Anyone remember how long it took from submitting your app to receiving your status check info?

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Just going to say, I was missing documents even though I was told I was good to go, so definitely give a call and be on top of them.

User avatar
lasersgopewpew
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby lasersgopewpew » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:16 pm

ism3232 wrote:Anyone remember how long it took from submitting your app to receiving your status check info?


I submitted late Sunday night, had the status check e-mail early Monday evening.

psach44 wrote:Just going to say, I was missing documents even though I was told I was good to go, so definitely give a call and be on top of them.


And I had blank checkboxes for items they did have, so, who knows what's going on. Definitely call or e-mail, they replied to my e-mail well w/in 24 hours.

abelincolnfan
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby abelincolnfan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:11 am

Any acceptances or rejections today?

Transfer13
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby Transfer13 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Congrats to recent admits!

How long did it take after going complete did you receive your acceptances? I am just wondering if it is true that an application is not reviewed until it is complete.

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 pm

This is brutal

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7300
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 wrote:This is brutal

Yep.

leroybrown
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby leroybrown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Admitted, top 2-3%, T30

tivera23
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby tivera23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Congrats!!!

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby Jimbola » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:09 pm

The check status page is down! MAYBE THAT MEANS SOMETHING ABOUT SOMETHING!!! SPECULATION!!!!!!!!!

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

When is/was the deposit deadline for the first round of admits? And should we not expect a new round until then? Columbia is the only school I have yet to hear from, and it would be nice to hear from them before a deposit deadline I have this week...

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm

.
Last edited by stillwater on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonu718k
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Just got in! I became complete July 12 (but I also had everything in, and was just waiting for Dean's Cert. forms from undergrad and business school to get in). Congrats to everyone else (and thank you to those who withdrew). :) My deposit deadline is July 22nd.

Between UPenn and Columbia, which is a better choice if you have clerkship aspirations? Does the smaller class size at Penn make it better? Does the lack of a dedicated Supreme Court clinic at Columbia matter?

Stats: Top 4ish%; school ranked in the 60s this year.

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby Frm312 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Congrats! did you get a call or does Columbia send emails?

Check out the ATL school rankings http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

It says that ~10.4% of Penn grads graduate with federal clerkships and Columbia is at ~7.9%

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 pm

.
Last edited by stillwater on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonu718k
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm

stillwater wrote:
Frm312 wrote:Congrats! did you get a call or does Columbia send emails?

Check out the ATL school rankings http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

It says that ~10.4% of Penn grads graduate with federal clerkships and Columbia is at ~7.9%


columbia does emails


I got an email with the letter as an attachment. And thanks for the link!

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby Jimbola » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Finally went complete today, informed via e-mail. Lets go long shot!

xfer2013
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby xfer2013 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 pm

I just spent some time reading through last year's thread and checking post histories. I'm developing a theory that there is a relatively strong correlation between going complete at a decent time and ultimately being admitted. Is anyone else under this impression?

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby echooo23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Jimbola wrote:Finally went complete today, informed via e-mail. Lets go long shot!


Did you email them and they confirmed? Or they emailed to say you're complete?

I'm worried. My dean's cert box is still unchecked, but I know my school only sent it last week. When I called about it, they said it takes a week or more to process and to hold tight. But now the 7/15 deadline has come and gone and still no check mark and no email confirmation. Shit.

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:28 pm

xfer2013 wrote:I'm developing a theory that there is a relatively strong correlation between going complete at a decent time and ultimately being admitted. Is anyone else under this impression?


Do you mean a decent hour, or not too late in the cycle? I definitely think there is a correlation for both NYU and Columbia between when in the cycle you are reviewed and your chances of acceptance. But, that is actually true of any rolling admissions.

I'm still Completion Pending. Definitely getting worried that the spots will fill up before they decide on my file. I sent two addenda - basically LOCIs - and now I'm wondering if that is the reason my file isn't yet complete.

At least Sonu got a decision the business day after going complete. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Edit: couldn't take my typos

sonu718k
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby sonu718k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 pm

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 wrote:
xfer2013 wrote:I'm developing a theory that there is a relatively strong correlation between going complete at a decent time and ultimately being admitted. Is anyone else under this impression?


Do you mean a decent hour, or not too late in the cycle? I definitely think there is a correlation for both NYU and Columbia between when in the cycle you are reviewed and your chances of acceptance. But, that is actually true of any rolling admissions.

I'm still Completion Pending. Definitely getting worried that the spots will fill up before they decide on my file. I sent two addenda - basically LOCIs - and now I'm wondering if that is the reason my file isn't yet complete.

At least Sonu got a decision the business day after going complete. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Edit: couldn't take my typos


My stats: Top 4ish%; school currently ranked in the 60s (but a couple years ago, it was in the 40s.. not sure how much of a difference that makes). Female/ Engineering undergrad/ MBA. And although my application was completed very late, I had had stuff that I have control over in by the end of June/ first week of July. It was only the two dean's certifications (one from undergrad and one from business school) that took this long to get to them.

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 pm

sonu718k wrote:
WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 wrote:
xfer2013 wrote:I'm developing a theory that there is a relatively strong correlation between going complete at a decent time and ultimately being admitted. Is anyone else under this impression?


Do you mean a decent hour, or not too late in the cycle? I definitely think there is a correlation for both NYU and Columbia between when in the cycle you are reviewed and your chances of acceptance. But, that is actually true of any rolling admissions.

I'm still Completion Pending. Definitely getting worried that the spots will fill up before they decide on my file. I sent two addenda - basically LOCIs - and now I'm wondering if that is the reason my file isn't yet complete.

At least Sonu got a decision the business day after going complete. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Edit: couldn't take my typos


My stats: Top 4ish%; school currently ranked in the 60s (but a couple years ago, it was in the 40s.. not sure how much of a difference that makes). Female/ Engineering undergrad/ MBA. And although my application was completed very late, I had had stuff that I have control over in by the end of June/ first week of July. It was only the two dean's certifications (one from undergrad and one from business school) that took this long to get to them.


Wow...you gave your stats already. Sorry about that.

Also, congrats! I know you're struggling with Penn v. CLS, and I can't offer much advice, but I can say that's a great problem to have.

All of my boxes are checked, and have been for some time now, so I hope it's not a bad sign that I still haven't gone complete. I'm also an Engineering undergrad - I hope they like them!

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby psach44 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 pm

I at least know why I'm not complete because they just received my last doc today, but seriously how long does it take this office to process things?

Is it just me, or does it feel as if the other ad-offices are just smoother and more efficient?

ism3232
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby ism3232 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 am

So I realized just now that I never requested a Dean's Cert. from my undergrad and sent the request now, although all of my other app documents were received. Think I should warn CLS Admissions/think they'll pass over my app for it being incomplete after the deadline?

psach44
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Postby psach44 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 am

ism3232 wrote:So I realized just now that I never requested a Dean's Cert. from my undergrad and sent the request now, although all of my other app documents were received. Think I should warn CLS Admissions/think they'll pass over my app for it being incomplete after the deadline?


Give them a call. If you can get it overnighted, maybe they will be OK with it.

Again, I am getting zero help from their office of admissions. Is anyone else running into a wall (named Peter) and finding that they have no answers, and responding that "We'll get decisions out by the 2nd week of August" is not helpful?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.