Columbia Waiting Thread 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
echooo23

Bronze

Re: Columbia Waiting Thread 2013

Post by echooo23 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 am

When is their bidding deadline? In other words, at what point do I give up on them?

Anfield08

New

Post by Anfield08 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 am

echooo23 wrote:When is their bidding deadline? In other words, at what point do I give up on them?
July 26

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 am

Anfield08 wrote:
echooo23 wrote:When is their bidding deadline? In other words, at what point do I give up on them?
July 26
They may have accommodations for transfers though??

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:16 pm

That date is actually for transfers only. Natives 2Ls and 3Ls had their bids due about two weeks ago.

I doubt they can do much after if you skip that date. If I remember right, students get their interview lists a few days after the deadline.

Note: I can't confirm that July 26 is the right date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Going off the website:
Columbia (LinkRemoved) wrote:Transfer students are eligible to take part in the Office of Career Services’ Early Interview Program (EIP) for 2L summer associate positions, which occurs in mid-August. In order to participate fully in this five-day program, transfer students must be admitted to the Law School at least one week prior to the start of the program. Admitted transfer applicants must also submit their deposit to the Office of Admissions prior to their participation in EIP. Once these conditions are met, newly admitted transfer students will be able to participate in the program along with the rest of the rising 2L class.
Columbia wrote:It will take place on August 8, 9, 12, and 13, 2013
So Aug. 1 would be the absolute latest you could be admitted in time to participate, but since it says "at least one week prior" to EIP, it could be even earlier than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tivera23

New

Post by tivera23 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

Is today the day? It's all I can think about.

Transfer13

New

Post by Transfer13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is today the day? It's all I can think about.
I am with you. Last year a lot of Dings were received in the mail and reported today (this Monday last year). Although all info gained from past cycles is anecdotal and speculative, it seems like the first round of dings should be coming soon. You can always call with your LSAC # and ask whether a decision has been rendered.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am

I called Thursday. No decision rendered yet.

I'm done calling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Transfer13

New

Post by Transfer13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I guess nothing today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Guess not. Did anyone call?

Transfer13

New

Post by Transfer13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I called first thing. no decision rendered as of this morning. I am kind of confused as to what is happening there with no dings this late in the game.

shannonleigh921

New

Post by shannonleigh921 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 pm

I just saw this forum today... I called this am for the first time and no decision had been rendered yet. I am starting to worry that it is too late, both for OCI and because I need to make living arrangements somewhere. :cry: The admissions guy told me today that they are aiming to have all decisions made by the 2nd week of August, and that is just too late. I am currently enrolled at UCLA, and am waiting on Stanford and Columbia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:41 pm

shannonleigh921 wrote:I just saw this forum today... I called this am for the first time and no decision had been rendered yet. I am starting to worry that it is too late, both for OCI and because I need to make living arrangements somewhere. :cry: The admissions guy told me today that they are aiming to have all decisions made by the 2nd week of August, and that is just too late. I am currently enrolled at UCLA, and am waiting on Stanford and Columbia.
If you have the grades to transfer and are at UCLA, I'd just stay. Not worth throwing away OCI, and you would be throwing it away by moving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:46 pm

shannonleigh921 wrote:I just saw this forum today... I called this am for the first time and no decision had been rendered yet. I am starting to worry that it is too late, both for OCI and because I need to make living arrangements somewhere. :cry: The admissions guy told me today that they are aiming to have all decisions made by the 2nd week of August, and that is just too late. I am currently enrolled at UCLA, and am waiting on Stanford and Columbia.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm at a low TT, but missing EIP would be devastating. I'd rather just stay here if it starts getting down to the wire. Plus, imagine what it's going to be like trying to move to NYC with about a week's notice. Fucking nuts.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm at a low TT, but missing EIP would be devastating. I'd rather just stay here if it starts getting down to the wire. Plus, imagine what it's going to be like trying to move to NYC with about a week's notice. Fucking nuts.
I'm more feeling turned off by this. I mean at this point, how can we even feel wanted?

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:44 pm

psach44 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm more feeling turned off by this. I mean at this point, how can we even feel wanted?
Who cares how you feel? It's a result oriented thing - admissions won't be teaching your classes or advising your career. However, if you miss OCI they're setting you up to be the 10% who gets crap law/nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
psach44 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who cares how you feel? It's a result oriented thing - admissions won't be teaching your classes or advising your career. However, if you miss OCI they're setting you up to be the 10% who gets crap law/nothing.
Shit, I thought this was a therapy group to share feelings--- my bad.

I meant that- meaning if we're on the road of being a top group without OCI prospects--- not so awesome.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm

You know my feelings on Columbia >>>>>>>>>>>> NYU.

But NYU with OCI and full cost vs. Columbia with a half scholly and no OCI is NYU by far.

OCI is where it's relatively easy to get the jobs. Mass mailing - these big firms are barely even going to skim your resume and transcript. OCI is where they're hiring from. It's about where you work, not if you're at #4 or #6.

lawdude1251

New

Post by lawdude1251 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm

I am in the exact same boat my friend

WhatDidIGetMyselfN2

New

Post by WhatDidIGetMyselfN2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Just went complete this evening.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ism3232

New

Post by ism3232 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Received an email confirming they're still missing a document from my undergrad. Awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

I haven't been accepted yet, but if any current or former Columbia students could provide advice here, that would be super awesome.

gbreezy

New

Post by gbreezy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Sent journal update in early july and confirmed my dean's appraisal was received. Still waiting.

-T25, top 15%, Law Review (completed June 20).

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:18 pm

gbreezy wrote:Sent journal update in early july and confirmed my dean's appraisal was received. Still waiting.

-T25, top 15%, Law Review (completed June 20).

Another day, more crickets- Who's withdrawing? I fear that the OCI is basically dead..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”