2013 Berkeley Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pbfoot

Re: 2013 Berkeley Transfer Thread

Postby pbfoot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:43 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
redsoxfaan3 wrote:Top 4%, T1, 3 CALIs, fairly strong softs, Berkeley/California ties

So I turned my application in literally on the day it opened. That may be why they got back to me so fast. Good luck everyone who hasn't heard back yet!

I turned mine in at 6p on the 17th, so I don't think submission time was a factor

csfm94102

Postby csfm94102 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:33 am

I also got in today.

So this might be a crazy question, but is anyone thinking of not going? As soon as my school found out I got an email about how transferring would ruin my life (ok, it wasn't that dramatic, but I'm sure you get the gist), and it sort of dampened my enthusiasm, even though I know I shouldn't let it.

Oleef

Postby Oleef » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 am

csfm94102 wrote:As soon as my school found out I got an email about how transferring would ruin my life (ok, it wasn't that dramatic, but I'm sure you get the gist), and it sort of dampened my enthusiasm, even though I know I shouldn't let it.

Damn really? can you elaborate a bit on how they said it would ruin your life?

Also, quick question, my app went "under review" on 6/18. Is there a "typical" time frame for going from under review to a decision? or is the amount of time unique for each app?

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:44 am

Oleef wrote:
csfm94102 wrote:As soon as my school found out I got an email about how transferring would ruin my life (ok, it wasn't that dramatic, but I'm sure you get the gist), and it sort of dampened my enthusiasm, even though I know I shouldn't let it.

Damn really? can you elaborate a bit on how they said it would ruin your life?

Also, quick question, my app went "under review" on 6/18. Is there a "typical" time frame for going from under review to a decision? or is the amount of time unique for each app?

Post the email.

I'm sure there are plenty of us thinking about not going. For those of us who are at lower ranked and similarly situated schools geographically to BLS, sure the choice is clear. For those of us who are not, the decision will be tough.

In terms of time frame, I went complete after you did so its not a factor. Don't let other people admits discourage you as there will likely be more admits as other schools start accepting students.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csfm94102

Postby csfm94102 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 am

Ok, so I'm not going to post the email because I'd like to maintain anonymity, but here's are the main points, which might give away my school in the end regardless:

1. It wont actually get me a better job - I'm sure this is a somewhat mixed bag. Yes, I'll probably do decently at OCIs at my current school, but I think I'll have access to firms that just plain do not interview at my school at Berkeley.

2. I'll lose my friends, wont be able to stay in touch with them, and will not experience the close knit ties essential to success in the legal profession.

3. I might not be eligible for law review membership. My understanding is that Berkeley does allow transfers to participate in the write on, although of course it is competitive.

4. The money thing. I'd probably be giving up what would be a close to full ride.

5. Losing my 1L GPA and therefore probably struggling to graduate with honors, which I almost certainly would at my current school. Not to mention the likelihood that my ranking would drop anyways with the whole big fish/small pond, small fish/ocean thing.

Ok, so saying it would 'ruing my life' is a BIT overdramatic, but it was a pretty negative email.

For some context: I am at a bay area, low T2 school so I do think it's worth it to transfer but it's a big decision and I don't want to make it too quickly.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 am

Congrats to all those admitted.

Figured I should chime in here to pay it forward. I was in the transfer game last year. 3.965/hastings. I got in at Berkeley and Stanford, so if you find yourself navigating that, feel free to ask/PM me about it. Gave up$10k (so not much) to make the jump.

One thing to say about the "increased clerkship potential" - remember, to have the shot at the prime ones you have to a) make Law Review, which has lower chances, b) keep doing well (no 2LOL), and c) quickly cultivate new prof relationships. This is even harder now because the clerkship plan went out the window - you used to have a year to show you could do as well at your new school and to get LORs. That is no longer the case, the "good" clerkships went in february. The upside to that coin is that more people are doing clerkships after a year or two in the working world, and if you transfer you'll have the new institution behind you.

tl;dr - clerking after 3L as a transfer is hard, but long term there is an increase potential.

Good luck to y'alls as you navigate this, it's fun and terrifying, and if you did well enough to get in at berks, I can almost guarantee no decision you make will ruin your life. Well, getting drunk and stealing state secrets, but nothing related to whether or not you transfer.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 am

csfm94102 wrote:Ok, so I'm not going to post the email because I'd like to maintain anonymity, but here's are the main points, which might give away my school in the end regardless:

1. It wont actually get me a better job - I'm sure this is a somewhat mixed bag. Yes, I'll probably do decently at OCIs at my current school, but I think I'll have access to firms that just plain do not interview at my school at Berkeley.

2. I'll lose my friends, wont be able to stay in touch with them, and will not experience the close knit ties essential to success in the legal profession.

3. I might not be eligible for law review membership. My understanding is that Berkeley does allow transfers to participate in the write on, although of course it is competitive.

4. The money thing. I'd probably be giving up what would be a close to full ride.

5. Losing my 1L GPA and therefore probably struggling to graduate with honors, which I almost certainly would at my current school. Not to mention the likelihood that my ranking would drop anyways with the whole big fish/small pond, small fish/ocean thing.

Ok, so saying it would 'ruing my life' is a BIT overdramatic, but it was a pretty negative email.

For some context: I am at a bay area, low T2 school so I do think it's worth it to transfer but it's a big decision and I don't want to make it too quickly.

2. You know this is a lie. The boomer dean may not fully understand how easy it is to stay in touch with people. You are not going to lose your friends simply because you move; you will make new friends.

4. How much money are we talking about? You don't even have a full ride at your current school. So what is the approximate dollar difference here.

Edit: I didn't transfer so maybe I don't belong in this thread. But number 2 just sounded like bullying to me, so I responded.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

I'm still in touch with all of my friends from 1L. Of course, I went bay area school --> bay area school. It's easier to stay in touch when you can meet for happy hour :)

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:25 am

csfm94102 wrote:Ok, so I'm not going to post the email because I'd like to maintain anonymity, but here's are the main points, which might give away my school in the end regardless:

Sounds like a typical cookie-cutter response. The school is going to look out for its best interest, and since you're one of their top students, it's in their best interest to get you to stay. Don't let them make you feel bad for looking out for your best interest, and don't let it cloud your judgment.

Also, keep in mind that most of what the school is highlighting in their email are short-term impacts. Okay, so you may do well at your current school's OCI, but what happens after your first job. You will most likely get preferential treatment coming from a school like Berkeley when you start looking at exit options and at every step in your career. I don't know which thread I saw this in, but someone's Fed agency boss made a comment to them along the lines of "from my school (T3/T4) I had to call recruiters if I wanted to lateral, from your school you'll have recruiters calling you." Having the Berkeley brand and alumni network behind you for the rest of your career is a factor that weighs heavily in favor of transferring.

csfm94102

Postby csfm94102 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

NYstate wrote:

2. You know this is a lie. The boomer dean may not fully understand how easy it is to stay in touch with people. You are not going to lose your friends simply because you move; you will make new friends.

4. How much money are we talking about? You don't even have a full ride at your current school. So what is the approximate dollar difference here.

Edit: I didn't transfer so maybe I don't belong in this thread. But number 2 just sounded like bullying to me, so I responded.

I was pretty sure number 2 was a lie considering the ease of communication these days and that I'd still be in the bay area. I just figured I'd post every point he made.

Money wise - right now I have about a 50% scholarship, if I pull the right strings I'm confident I can get a full ride or at the very least 95% covered.

Jimbo_Jones - I do think you make a good point, while it might not make a massive difference in the next few years, the weight of having Berkeley behind me for the rest of my life, assuming I work hard/do well etc. will probably make a difference.

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 am

Who else is still waiting to hear? Surely they haven't sent out all the admits yet? I am still "Under Review."

2013Transfer

Postby 2013Transfer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am

dsb83 wrote:Who else is still waiting to hear? Surely they haven't sent out all the admits yet? I am still "Under Review."

I am too, so probably no reason to worry! Seems like they really targeted people with a strong regional preference for the first batch of admits. Hopefully they'll admit us soon :)

2LOLJD2015

Postby 2LOLJD2015 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am

I got in but probably (99%) not going to accept. B is kind of a lateral from my current school and I would be giving up $$$. Would really really prefer to be in the Bay Area but it's just too much money.

Enjoy the extra spot, hope one of you guys gets it.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm

2013Transfer wrote:
dsb83 wrote:Who else is still waiting to hear? Surely they haven't sent out all the admits yet? I am still "Under Review."

I am too, so probably no reason to worry! Seems like they really targeted people with a strong regional preference for the first batch of admits. Hopefully they'll admit us soon :)

I am also still under review... is there any historical data of when the second batch comes out?

[Edit] Also, for those accepted, what does is your deposit deadline? $$$?

sap

Postby sap » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Nammertat wrote:I am also still under review... is there any historical data of when the second batch comes out?

From last year's data, they sent out the second batch 1 week after the first batch.

They don't require a seat deposit, they're all honor system; my response deadline is Jul 10.

2LOLJD2015

Postby 2LOLJD2015 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Nammertat wrote:
2013Transfer wrote:

I am also still under review... is there any historical data of when the second batch comes out?

Whoa, does B do $$ for transfers?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm

sap wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I am also still under review... is there any historical data of when the second batch comes out?

From last year's data, they sent out the second batch 1 week after the first batch.

They don't require a seat deposit, they're all honor system; my response deadline is Jul 10.

Ahhh I forgot about that from 0L... Fair enough, thanks for the info.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm

sap wrote:They don't require a seat deposit, they're all honor system; my response deadline is Jul 10.

Same. Curious what other folks waiting on H/S plan on doing about this...

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sap

Postby sap » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

pbfoot wrote:
sap wrote:They don't require a seat deposit, they're all honor system; my response deadline is Jul 10.

I'm going to wait until the last possible minute. :)

redsoxfaan3

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
pbfoot wrote:

I'm going to wait until the last minute and, if by the end of the business day on the 10th have yet to hear back from H/S, tell Berkeley I'll go (if I do decide to transfer).

This.

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:44 pm

2013Transfer wrote:

FYI

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Are they still doing the "give us your word as a lawyer" thing?

As for what to do? I withdrew from all others. Faye accepted me anyways...but I wouldn't bank on that.

You can ask for extensions, or you can, in good conscience, accept. From LSAC:

"After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted,
a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class."

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/publi ... oodadm.pdf

2LOLJD2015

Postby 2LOLJD2015 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am

I wish they would just ask for a deposit. I wouldn't feel so bad about breaking it off afterward if they did that.

This "give us your word as a lawyer, or ur a scumbag" thing is pretty smart on their part though.

Return to “Transfers”