Harvard Waiting Thread 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
psach44

Bronze

Re: Harvard Waiting Thread 2013

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Tomorrow is a ding day. So for most of us, (including myself), this might be the last hoorah.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 pm

GPA is historically solidly within the top 10% at MVP and got dinged in the first go round. However, it might be related to undergrad disciplinary issues from over 4 years ago. Do these #'s normally get dinged so quickly? I'd rather it's that my #'s weren't good enough, and not that this same past stupidity is continuing to dampen my life.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 pm

I am also rather pessimistic about my chances when the music finally stops... I'd just rather they stop drawing out the pain!

njfast07

New

Post by njfast07 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

psach44 wrote:Tomorrow is a ding day. So for most of us, (including myself), this might be the last hoorah.
How do you know this?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

njfast07 wrote:
psach44 wrote:Tomorrow is a ding day. So for most of us, (including myself), this might be the last hoorah.
How do you know this?
hysterical speculation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

stillwater wrote:
njfast07 wrote:
How do you know this?
hysterical speculation
Isn't that the true spirit of TLS?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Nammertat wrote:
stillwater wrote:
njfast07 wrote:
How do you know this?
hysterical speculation
Isn't that the true spirit of TLS?
pretty much

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Kinda just think it makes sense...

Thin out list. Have 2nd wave admits ready and have backup "waitlist" for the YLS and SLS or NYC steady (NYU/Columbia) withdraws.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm

It seems some schools are doing things a bit differently this year, Chicago placing RD applicants on hold for example. Might there be a connection with the percentage drops in applicants/applications for class of 2015 / smaller class sizes at many schools as compared with previous years - less transfer applicants/combined with schools accepting more transfers to fill smaller current 2L class? Mabye schools are unsure how these changes will impact their yield

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Honesty when were talking about the 5 top schools I don't think there's really a drop; if any it's negligible

transfer57

New

Post by transfer57 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Best case scenario:

The two GULC ED deposits I forfeited: $1,600
UVA deposit I hope I get to forfeit: $1,000
Year long lease at a house I hope I'll never see in Charlottesville: $5,100
Forgetting about all this shit if I get into H: Pricele...Jk, expensive as fuck, but still I'd be happy.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

nucky thompson wrote:It seems some schools are doing things a bit differently this year, Chicago placing RD applicants on hold for example. Might there be a connection with the percentage drops in applicants/applications for class of 2015 / smaller class sizes at many schools as compared with previous years - less transfer applicants/combined with schools accepting more transfers to fill smaller current 2L class? Mabye schools are unsure how these changes will impact their yield
yea i think the top schools have been insulated from this. they are still the destination schools. i don't think Harvard is kept up at night about their yield.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm

stillwater wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:It seems some schools are doing things a bit differently this year, Chicago placing RD applicants on hold for example. Might there be a connection with the percentage drops in applicants/applications for class of 2015 / smaller class sizes at many schools as compared with previous years - less transfer applicants/combined with schools accepting more transfers to fill smaller current 2L class? Mabye schools are unsure how these changes will impact their yield
yea i think the top schools have been insulated from this. they are still the destination schools. i don't think Harvard is kept up at night about their yield.
Not saying they are worried about their yield overall - only saying that maybe Schools are uncertain about how many of their A-list candidates will matriculate. Certainly they have plenty of admittable candidates, but schools have to guess how many people they need to accept in order to get the class size they want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Not saying they are worried about their yield overall - only saying that maybe Schools are uncertain about how many of their A-list candidates will matriculate. Certainly they have plenty of admittable candidates, but schools have to guess how many people they need to accept in order to get the class size they want.
agreed which is why schools admit transfer applicants in waves. but i wouldnt expand to see an expansion in transfer slots despite the income from those students because they can't afford to overly dilute their own 1L classes.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 pm

stillwater wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:
stillwater wrote:
agreed which is why schools admit transfer applicants in waves. but i wouldnt expand to see an expansion in transfer slots despite the income from those students because they can't afford to overly dilute their own 1L classes.
And based anecdotally on a few of these threads schools are admitting applicants in waves that are not similar to the waves of years past. Hence, my initial hypothesis.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 pm

yea i think the top schools have been insulated from this. they are still the destination schools. i don't think Harvard is kept up at night about their yield.[/quote]

Not saying they are worried about their yield overall - only saying that maybe Schools are uncertain about how many of their A-list candidates will matriculate. Certainly they have plenty of admittable candidates, but schools have to guess how many people they need to accept in order to get the class size they want.[/quote]

agreed which is why schools admit transfer applicants in waves. but i wouldnt expand to see an expansion in transfer slots despite the income from those students because they can't afford to overly dilute their own 1L classes.[/quote]

And based anecdotally on a few of these threads schools are admitting applicants in waves that are not similar to the waves of years past. Hence, my initial hypothesis.[/quote]

You are definitely right that things are different. I think Harvard really hasn't even entered a "wave". They just seem to be going slow. It seems like 15 or so admits and maybe that same number dings. They will wait till Monday to see the score. I think if people survive tomorrow, there is legitimate hope. However, I do believe Harvard is going to be slaying tomorrow. And no, that isn't TLS hysteria, I just think it's reality.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 pm

stillwater wrote:Nucky boy: I think, as I argued, the top schools are insulated from the vicissitudes of this new law school applicant market then it would be attributed to other factors: contending with their 1L waitlists, change in staff, etc. Some schools have moved earlier this year, much earlier (Columbia, NYU), while others have dragged their feet (UPenn). So i think what you're seeing is just differences attributed to whatever internal office happenings are going on, not some groundbreaking alteration in transfer applications.

Idk why you need to use hyperbole - "losing sleep" "groundbreaking alteration" - no, just that they are behaving differently and then I offered one potential reason. just shooting the shit, chummin it up, typing up a random neurotic thought to get some feedback. But I forgot this is elite law school transfer thread with . . . Brilliant people to parse it all out

Nucky boy - idk why youd change the name of my account if you wanted to reference me, as opposed to an abbreviation, or quote etc - but likely because you feel and air of superiority about yourself, thinking you're the (wo)man etc etc. calling someone boy, hey boy you're still silly to understand this grown up stuff - seeing your other posts . . . Operating under the influence usually leads to negative reinforcement, even if caused by drinking your own cool aide
Last edited by nucky thompson on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Nucky,

Mr. Stillwater is a Harvard-ian now. He is forever destined to speak as a pretentious jerk. We accept him anyways for all his guidance.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Some sensitive b holes in this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Some sensitive b holes in this thread.
No need for white knighting, everything is cool in here

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
stillwater wrote:Nucky boy: I think, as I argued, the top schools are insulated from the vicissitudes of this new law school applicant market then it would be attributed to other factors: contending with their 1L waitlists, change in staff, etc. Some schools have moved earlier this year, much earlier (Columbia, NYU), while others have dragged their feet (UPenn). So i think what you're seeing is just differences attributed to whatever internal office happenings are going on, not some groundbreaking alteration in transfer applications.

Idk why you need to use hyperbole - "losing sleep" "groundbreaking alteration" - no, just that they are behaving differently and then I offered one potential reason. just shooting the shit, chummin it up, typing up a random neurotic thought to get some feedback. But I forgot this is elite law school transfer thread with . . . Brilliant people to parse it all out

Nucky boy - idk why youd change the name of my account if you wanted to reference me, as opposed to an abbreviation, or quote etc - but likely because you feel and air of superiority about yourself, thinking you're the (wo)man etc etc. calling someone boy, hey boy you're still silly to understand this grown up stuff - seeing your other posts . . . Operating under the influence usually leads to negative reinforcement, even if caused by drinking your own cool aide
I didn't even see this edit before, but it's PURE GOLD.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

hahahahaahahahaahah. WOW.

Let's all chill it. Everything is good.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”