CALLING ALL TRANSFER EXPERTS - GUIDANCE NEEDED!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Benjamin1987

CALLING ALL TRANSFER EXPERTS - GUIDANCE NEEDED!

Postby Benjamin1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 am

NEED TLS EXPERT ADVICE:

I finished #1 at a 40-50 after first semester. I'm interested in transfer options depending on this semesters results. However, I have some reservations (see below). I've read "Arrow's Guide on Transferring" so I understand his basic philosophy on transferring. However, I'd like to hear from more people who have previously transferred, or may be knowledgeable on this issue. Here's, what I'm looking to know:

1) Which schools are "no-brainers" to accept a transfer to (assuming admission)?

2) What schools are strong considerations (assuming admission)?

3) What is the best transfer application strategy for someone in my position (e.g. blanket t-14)?

4) What factors are important to consider before deciding to transfer?

5) Why is it worth it to pay nearly twice as much at a T-14 (80k COA v. 140k COA)?

My reservations: My current school is in a weak legal market (best case scenario is Biglaw market rate 105k to 115k), but its the region where I'd like to live (I like the warm weather); I don't really want to move; and I'm not excited about the idea of taking on more debt.

quiver

Re: CALLING ALL TRANSFER EXPERTS - GUIDANCE NEEDED!

Postby quiver » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:1) Which schools are "no-brainers" to accept a transfer to (assuming admission)?

2) What schools are strong considerations (assuming admission)?

3) What is the best transfer application strategy for someone in my position (e.g. blanket t-14)?

4) What factors are important to consider before deciding to transfer?

5) Why is it worth it to pay nearly twice as much at a T-14 (80k COA v. 140k COA)?
Transferring is a very personal decision. There are no "no-brainers" or "strong considers" in the abstract; one transfer school may be a great decision for one person but an awful decision for another.

The reason transferring is so personal is because there are a bazillion factors that go into it. Are you already in the region you want to practice? Do you have a scholarship? What are your career goals? Where are you able to live for the next 2 years (eg: if a SO is tying you to a specific region)? What transfer schools you are you accepted to? Etc.

If you're #1 at a regional school with a full scholarship and all you want is biglaw, then transferring may not be a great decision. But it you're #1 at a regional school with only a 50% scholarship and you are aiming for clerkships, then transferring may be the way to go. Likewise, if you're #1 at a T40 school, then a transfer to GULC would make less sense than a transfer to CCN depending on all other factors.

In sum: the best way to use TLS is to put all your considerations out there and ask what people think. It does no good to debate things in the abstract.

ETA: if you're serious about transferring, the best strategy at this point is to repeat your first semester performance and blanket the T14. Come back when you have concrete facts.

Benjamin1987

Re: CALLING ALL TRANSFER EXPERTS - GUIDANCE NEEDED!

Postby Benjamin1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you. I will come back after I apply.

Return to “Transfers”