CCN -> HY?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CCN -> HY?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 pm

First off I apologize if there is a thread like this elsewhere. I could not find it, and would be very glad if you could point me in the right direction.

I finished my first semester around top 15% at a CCN. I receive no financial assistance whatsoever from my current school (I think it's because I was accepted off of the waitlist and there was no finaid money left) and I would like to put myself in a situation where I can obtain at least something, be it at my current school or at Harvard or Yale.

My questions are...

Assuming I maintain my grades (top 15%), what are my chances like? The guide said top 10% for t14-HYS, but I wonder if being at a t6 permits a slightly worse ranking.

How often do Harvard and Yale give financial assistance to transfers? Are schools generally willing to give some sort of financial aid to stop people from transferring? (This would probably be the optimal situation)

How should I go about asking for LOR's? Should I explicitly tell the professors I am seeking to transfer for financial reasons, or should I keep this a hidden motive?

Thank you all for your help. This is a wonderful forum and I feel fortunate for having discovered it last year.

jbiresq

Re: CCN -> HY?

Postby jbiresq » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:58 pm

YH give need aid. That may help you negotiate, but I really have no idea.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming I maintain my grades (top 15%), what are my chances like? The guide said top 10% for t14-HYS, but I wonder if being at a t6 permits a slightly worse ranking.
Top 15% should be very competitive for YSH.
Anonymous User wrote:How often do Harvard and Yale give financial assistance to transfers?
As far as I know, all of YSH give need-based aid to transfers.
Anonymous User wrote:Are schools generally willing to give some sort of financial aid to stop people from transferring? (This would probably be the optimal situation)
Depends on the school.
Anonymous User wrote:How should I go about asking for LOR's? Should I explicitly tell the professors I am seeking to transfer for financial reasons, or should I keep this a hidden motive?
If you have professors that you're comfortable with, I think you should just be open about your reasons. Making law school cheaper is a pretty damn good reason for transferring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Thank you both for your answers. I will wait to see how I do this semester, and if things go according to plan I will send in the transfer apps.

Return to “Transfers”