T2 --> GULC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Worth it to transfer?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

T2 --> GULC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I was accepted EA to GULC and am trying to decide if it's worth the transfer. I'm top 10% at a Chicago T2 with 6+ years WE, no IP. I want biglaw in SF, where I'm from, but would consider a few years in Chicago or NYC before moving back. I really do want SF, though. After consideration for lost scholarship and higher tuition, my degree would cost an extra $40k. Plus extra for DC's higher cost of living.

I think the top 10% at my school are competitive for biglaw, but very few firms come to OCI and the ones that do are all in the Midwest. I'm just not willing to live in Michigan, Wisconsin, or whatever. Aside from that, I'm LGBT/URM and plan to go to Lavender Law and the Cook County Minority Job Fair to get my resumes out. Transferring to GULC would give me access to significantly more firms at OCI than at my current school, obviously. But, not that many CA firms are represented at GULC, and I've heard that coming back to Chicago may be difficult. And would it be bad if I went to the Cook County Minority Job Fair and was like, "Hey, guys. I'm leaving Chicago for 2 years, but hire me anyway!"? And there's also the issue of transfer stigma and/or being looked at as median at GULC, as opposed to top 10% if I stay. But if I strike out, having GULC on my resume is better than my T2 that means nothing to anyone in SF, right?

I will apply to Berkeley and NU, but GULC may be my only option if I can't bump up to 5% this semester.

What do you guys think? Worth it? Also, please explain your answer in comments! Thank you!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: T2 --> GULC

Post by eastcoast_iub » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Normally, T2--> T14 is a no-brainer, but:

1) Being a double-minority is killer for OCI. That alone gives you a high probability of landing a firm job.

2) G-Town is a sketchy proposition for transferring for many people, but esp. if you're trying to go to SF. Cal would obviously be a good choice for you, but I would try Michigan as well. They place surprisingly well in CA.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

I would pay the deposit(s) and wait and see. But if you don't get in anywhere else I would take Georgetown. Top 10% at Kent or Loyola is not going to be enough to get you a great job. Even if you do interview with Chicago firms at Georgetown's OCI, it's pretty easy to explain to them why you transferred.

You forgot the Bay Area Diversity Fair. Pretty much all the big Bay Area firms show up there. It's a great way to augment your interview schedule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 pm

jbiresq wrote:I would pay the deposit(s) and wait and see. But if you don't get in anywhere else I would take Georgetown. Top 10% at Kent or Loyola is not going to be enough to get you a great job. Even if you do interview with Chicago firms at Georgetown's OCI, it's pretty easy to explain to them why you transferred.

You forgot the Bay Area Diversity Fair. Pretty much all the big Bay Area firms show up there. It's a great way to augment your interview schedule.
OP here: I actually just found out about that today. Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone have experience with job fairs as a transfer? How would I deal with the fact that bidding starts before all acceptances/rejections are in, and I wouldn't be able to reflect my new school (if I transfer) on my resume? Also, specific to the Cook County one, how do I handle the fact that I may transfer out of the Midwest?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 pm

OP again: also, are there any other job fairs that I may have missed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jbiresq wrote:I would pay the deposit(s) and wait and see. But if you don't get in anywhere else I would take Georgetown. Top 10% at Kent or Loyola is not going to be enough to get you a great job. Even if you do interview with Chicago firms at Georgetown's OCI, it's pretty easy to explain to them why you transferred.

Does anyone have experience with job fairs as a transfer? How would I deal with the fact that bidding starts before all acceptances/rejections are in, and I wouldn't be able to reflect my new school (if I transfer) on my resume? Also, specific to the Cook County one, how do I handle the fact that I may transfer out of the Midwest?
For the resume issue, I would deposit into GULC and stick it on your resume. When you go into the interview room, just give them a new copy of your resume and explain that you had an offer from x school (hopefully ranked higher) and had to take it for x reasons. They'll understand.

With the Midwest stuff, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll need to come up with a convincing speech about more opportunities, etc. but it's not something that you should base the decision whether to transfer on. They'll understand why you chose a higher ranked school. Just keep the speech short and sweet; one transfer who had success at OCI simply told firms he transferred because the school was ranked higher, though I wouldn't go that way. On the other hand, you should base the decision on "where" to transfer on these factors.

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 am

Pay the seat deposit and throw in an app to Chicago early decision. They like taking transfers from Chicago-area schools.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 am

buddingjd wrote:Pay the seat deposit and throw in an app to Chicago early decision. They like taking transfers from Chicago-area schools.
Top 10% from Loyola/Kent will not get you into Chicago, especially ED. A deferral at best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am

jbiresq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For the resume issue, I would deposit into GULC and stick it on your resume. When you go into the interview room, just give them a new copy of your resume and explain that you had an offer from x school (hopefully ranked higher) and had to take it for x reasons. They'll understand.

With the Midwest stuff, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll need to come up with a convincing speech about more opportunities, etc. but it's not something that you should base the decision whether to transfer on. They'll understand why you chose a higher ranked school. Just keep the speech short and sweet; one transfer who had success at OCI simply told firms he transferred because the school was ranked higher, though I wouldn't go that way. On the other hand, you should base the decision on "where" to transfer on these factors.
OP here: This is solid advice. Thank you.
jbiresq wrote:
buddingjd wrote:Pay the seat deposit and throw in an app to Chicago early decision. They like taking transfers from Chicago-area schools.
Top 10% from Loyola/Kent will not get you into Chicago, especially ED. A deferral at best.
I was planning on applying to Chicago anyway, especially if I can boost up to 5% this semester. But it's a way, way longshot, and I'm not looking at it as any sort of possibility until I have an acceptance in hand.

I will definitely put the seat deposit down for now, register for the job fairs, and see what other acceptances come (if any). All of this is so stressful, especially if I'll need to move on a moment's notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Relax, send the check and get to studying 8) . The GULC acceptance screwed up my studying last year and I dipped a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:45 pm

jbiresq wrote:Relax, send the check and get to studying 8) . The GULC acceptance screwed up my studying last year and I dipped a bit.
LOL, the best advice yet. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”