Best time to apply?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best time to apply?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:37 pm

I was wondering when I should send in my applications...

I'm planning on applying to transfer next fall...list right now is Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Georgetown and Texas. I may end up applying to all of the T14, minus HYS(transferring from lower T1), but there are some regional concerns with my significant other's career. New York, DC, Austin, or near San Fran would be good places for us.

I'm wondering when is the best time to apply. I've already had two professors agree to write letters but wanted to figure out when I would be sending off applications, so I can tell them when I need the letters at the latest. Is applying when I get grades (late May, early June) okay for these schools? There's no point in applying before grades right? I know UT no will consider an application conditionally prior to receiving the second semester grades if the grades are going to be later than usual. But I'm not sure if this is available in general or only in exceptional cases where grades come in late.

Any thoughts?

patrickd139

Re: Best time to apply?

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Assuming you have the rest of your application materials in order (resume, personal statements, LORs, etc.), apply as schools post their transfer applications. Then supplement your applications with grades as they become available.

Most importantly, do do anything that could jeopardize your ability to a) make high grades this semester's grades or b) make LR at your current school.

Edited because I type things that don't make sense and don't read them and then post them.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisavj

Re: Best time to apply?

Postby lisavj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 pm

I applied at deadline to Berkeley and SLS (and I think all of my LORs arrived after the deadline). Time seems to be less of an issue with transfer apps than regular apps. Caveat: one persons experience.

Return to “Transfers”