Clerking for Transfer Students

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking for Transfer Students

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm writing this with hopes of getting responses from students who have actually transferred, since there is plenty of speculation from non-transfer students on other threads.

To what extent do you think transferring hurt your clerkship application? I'm primarily interested in a few factors:

1. Did your 1L professors from your old school still write you recommendations?
2. Were you able to secure any good recommendations from professors in your new school?
3. Did your grades slip when you transferred, thus hurting your application?
4. Do you think there is a presumption against transfers, i.e., a general feeling that transfers are less qualified for whatever reason (they didn't get in the first time, they are careerists, etc. etc.)?

Thanks very much to anyone who replies with some perspective.

Wholigan

Re: Clerking for Transfer Students

Postby Wholigan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:1. Did your 1L professors from your old school still write you recommendations?
2. Were you able to secure any good recommendations from professors in your new school?
3. Did your grades slip when you transferred, thus hurting your application?
4. Do you think there is a presumption against transfers, i.e., a general feeling that transfers are less qualified for whatever reason (they didn't get in the first time, they are careerists, etc. etc.)?

1) No. But I didn't ask. I know some have been recommended by 1L professors.
2) Yes - but it wasn't easy and I consider myself somewhat lucky.
3) A little, but not too much (at least during 2L)
4) I am sure some judges have a presumption against transfers, but I think there are plenty that don't also.

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent do you think transferring hurt your clerkship application?

I don't think transferring hurt my application. Of course I don't know how it would have gone had I stayed at my old school and applied. I made a fairly sizable jump, from T2 to T14, so maybe that is a factor. And as I said, I believe I was somewhat fortunate with recommendations.

jessuf

Re: Clerking for Transfer Students

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Also, you could always get letters from professors at your new school who taught your fall 2L classes.

Return to “Transfers”