Judicial Extern/Internship

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

For those that transferred from one school to another and did a judicial externship during the summer, did anyone try to see if the new institution would grant you credit for it? (i.e. not as transferred credits--since transferred credits are usually capped at 30--but as a course taken during the summer)

The reasoning is because most schools (that I am aware of) have a judicial externship program. Schools may not be willing to recognize state courts, but I fail to see why would a school not recognize District Courts or COA.

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm fairly sure there are really strict requirements (as to hours, work done, etc) that you have to go through to get credit for these (at the schools that allow credit).

If you've already completed the externship, it's likely that one of the hoops you were supposed to jump through wasn't completed. Judges often only follow those rules so the student can get credit.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby jbiresq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 pm

kyle010723 wrote:For those that transferred from one school to another and did a judicial externship during the summer, did anyone try to see if the new institution would grant you credit for it? (i.e. not as transferred credits--since transferred credits are usually capped at 30--but as a course taken during the summer)

The reasoning is because most schools (that I am aware of) have a judicial externship program. Schools may not be willing to recognize state courts, but I fail to see why would a school not recognize District Courts or COA.


Can't you get credit through your old school? That's what I did.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

jbiresq wrote:Can't you get credit through your old school? That's what I did.


You can, but generally, you can only transfer 30 credits to the new institution. 1L classes alone (Contract/Tort/Crim/Con/Pro/Civ Pro/LWR) account for 30.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby jbiresq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
jbiresq wrote:Can't you get credit through your old school? That's what I did.


You can, but generally, you can only transfer 30 credits to the new institution. 1L classes alone (Contract/Tort/Crim/Con/Pro/Civ Pro/LWR) account for 30.


I know but your new school is not going to care that you went over that limit. I did it mainly because my jobs were unpaid and I needed the loan money for living expenses. Not a great financial choice but I needed the $ and didn't care about getting more hours at my new school.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

jbiresq wrote:I know but your new school is not going to care that you went over that limit. I did it mainly because my jobs were unpaid and I needed the loan money for living expenses. Not a great financial choice but I needed the $ and didn't care about getting more hours at my new school.


Ahh, I am just trying to see if anyone was able to get credit at the new school. If so, great; if not, NBD.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Judicial Extern/Internship

Postby jbiresq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:48 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
jbiresq wrote:I know but your new school is not going to care that you went over that limit. I did it mainly because my jobs were unpaid and I needed the loan money for living expenses. Not a great financial choice but I needed the $ and didn't care about getting more hours at my new school.


Ahh, I am just trying to see if anyone was able to get credit at the new school. If so, great; if not, NBD.


In that case probably no. I was admitted ED but wasn't actually a confirmed student until the middle of July. Though it's kind of a moot point because my school won't give credit for externships.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.